Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Rajendra Sakpal (Persistent)" <ra...@mblox.com> on 2008/01/11 14:57:42 UTC

Problem with accessing HTML page under non-default appBase in Tomcat.

Hi Folks,

I'm trying to access a HTML file placed in the appBase that is not under
the default "webapps" directory of Tomcat 5.5.  I cannot access the URL
(http://10.88.129.18:8088/post35.html) from browser.

Server.xml:

========

<Host name="localhost" appBase="/home/redhot/redhot1.25/redhotdata/web"

       unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"

Note: The post35.html in the above URL is under
"/home/redhot/redhot1.25/redhotdata/web" i.e. the appBase as defined
above.

What could be the issue?  Have I configured Tomcat correctly? Please
help.

Thanks & regards,

Rajendra

NOTICE - This message and any attached files may contain information that is confidential and/or subject of legal privilege intended only for use by the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this message in error and that any dissemination, copying or use of this message or attachment is strictly forbidden, as is the disclosure of the information therein.  If you have received this message in error please notify the sender immediately and delete the message.

RE: Problem with accessing HTML page under non-default appBase in Tomcat.

Posted by rajendra_sakpal <ra...@persistent.co.in>.
It's giving me HTTP 400: Bad Request error when trying to access the URL.

DISCLAIMER
==========

RE: Problem with accessing HTML page under non-default appBase in Tomcat.

Posted by rajendra_sakpal <ra...@persistent.co.in>.
Thanks Caldarale/David!

Your solution worked. I will take a look at the documents as well.

-Rajendra

DISCLAIMER
==========

RE: Problem with accessing HTML page under non-default appBase in Tomcat.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: rajendra_sakpal [mailto:rajendra_sakpal@persistent.co.in]
> Subject: RE: Problem with accessing HTML page under
> non-default appBase in Tomcat.
>
> FYI: The problem that I described here has nothing to do with
> the problem that I posted yesterday.

No, it's exactly the same problem: you don't understand what a servlet
container is supposed to do.  Please read the references given to you
and look at how the webapps delivered with Tomcat are structured.
You'll need to place the files for your default webapp under a
[appBase]/ROOT (case matters).

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

Re: Problem with accessing HTML page under non-default appBase in Tomcat.

Posted by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu>.
To be clear, the appBase can contain nothing but webapps and tomcat
considers all content to be a part of one webapp or another.  The ROOT
webapp is a special webapp that processes all requests not matching any
other webapp's path.  To serve up your html file from the root of your
site, place it in the ROOT webapp.  See the tomcat docs and the servlet
spec (especially the servlet spec) for a clear description of how this
is handled.

--David

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.