Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by David Yahoo <da...@yahoo.fr> on 2003/01/12 17:05:49 UTC

[users@httpd] Dynamicly rewrite docroot in vhosts ?

Hi,

I try to rewrite document root judging from subdomain of an host.
All my adresses are qualified in dns.
I m going to explain with sample it's better for understanding.
I think that my challenge is to know how to catch subdomains and add them to the docroot.
But is it possible ?

Let's see :

<VirtualHost *>

DocumentRoot c:/easyphp/www/sites/install/

ServerName install.sites.com

</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *>
DocumentRoot c:/easyphp/www/sites/web/

ServerName web.sites.com

</VirtualHost>

I want to take the subdomains of the domains and add it to the document root
I could write only a vhost directive in order to do that.
I d like to take the xxxxxxxxx and put them at the place of the yyyyyyyyyy

<VirtualHost *>

ServerName (xxxxxxxxx).sites.com

DocumentRoot c:/easyphp/www/sites/(yyyyyyyyy)/

</VirtualHost>

Apache is very powerfull but i dont know if it can do this.
I have an apache 1.3.24 win32.

I ve read some pieces of the docs.
I think that my solutions could be a mix of vhost serveralias and rewrite.
I dont understand the serverpath line.

the following adresses give samples :
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/vhosts/examples.html#serverpath

See what i think, could u help me i m so a great newbie
<VirtualHost *>
ServerName www.sites.com
ServerAlias sites.com *.sites.com
DocumentRoot c:/easyphp/www/sites/
#ServerPath /sites/ # dont know if it could be usual
RewriteEngine On
### make rules to catch subdomains and add them to the docroot ###
### i d only want to catch install and web subdomains
#RewriteRule ^(/sites/.*/.*) c:/easyphp/www/sites/$1/
Options Indexes FollowSymLinks Includes MultiViews
</VirtualHost>

Thanks.

---
www.grisoft.com

Re: [users@httpd] Dynamicly rewrite docroot in vhosts ?

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Sun, 12 Jan 2003, Jurgen wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> first you have to get the name of the subdomain. You could accomplish this for example like this:
> RewriteMap lowercase int:tolower
> RewriteCond ${lowercase:%{HTTP_HOST}} (.+)\.domainname.com$
>
> Then in the next line you place %1 where you would like to see the subdomain name:
> RewriteRule ^/(.+)$ c:/www/sites/%1/$1
>
> The $1 contain everything that comes after the domain name, except the first slash.

Or see mod_vhost_alias, which is designed with exactly this task in mind.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] Dynamicly rewrite docroot in vhosts ?

Posted by Jurgen <ap...@squarehosting.com>.
Hi David,

first you have to get the name of the subdomain. You could accomplish this for example like this:
RewriteMap lowercase int:tolower
RewriteCond ${lowercase:%{HTTP_HOST}} (.+)\.domainname.com$

Then in the next line you place %1 where you would like to see the subdomain name:
RewriteRule ^/(.+)$ c:/www/sites/%1/$1

The $1 contain everything that comes after the domain name, except the first slash.

Jurgen