Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> on 2015/07/14 16:58:48 UTC

Why does the assembly plugin have a mandatory, unconfigurable, exclusion for file names that end in ".filtered"

This code lives in AddFileSetsTask.java. There are no comments. Can
anyone explain it? Can I simply delete it via MASSEMBLY-777?

final List<String> excludes = fileSet.getExcludes();
            excludes.add( "**/*.filtered" );
            excludes.add( "**/*.formatted" );
            task.setExcludes( excludes );

Re: Why does the assembly plugin have a mandatory, unconfigurable, exclusion for file names that end in ".filtered"

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
Le mardi 14 juillet 2015 15:39:16 Benson Margulies a écrit :
> On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 3:10 PM, Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>
wrote:
> > thank you
> >
> > Le mardi 14 juillet 2015 15:06:57 Benson Margulies a écrit :
> >> Reverted.
>
> De rien, and all that, but I want to emphasize that this is just how
> CTR works. I committed based on my itch. You saw a problem. I
> reverted. No fuss, no argument.
+1

> This particular time, I was deep in
> yak-shaving and got ahead of myself, but another time, it will be
> something I am perfectly clear is a good idea, and someone else sees a
> problem. I wish I'd seen the commit that started all this and I'd have
> objected to _it_ :-)
+1
sometimes I have the same impression to have missed so much details :)
but only those who don't do anything don't do mistakes: let's improve what was
done

Regards,

Hervé

Re: Why does the assembly plugin have a mandatory, unconfigurable, exclusion for file names that end in ".filtered"

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 3:10 PM, Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr> wrote:
> thank you
>
> Le mardi 14 juillet 2015 15:06:57 Benson Margulies a écrit :
>> Reverted.

De rien, and all that, but I want to emphasize that this is just how
CTR works. I committed based on my itch. You saw a problem. I
reverted. No fuss, no argument. This particular time, I was deep in

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
thank you

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
Reverted.

Re: Why does the assembly plugin have a mandatory, unconfigurable, exclusion for file names that end in ".filtered"

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
using svn blame, I started to try to figure out why these strange things are
here.

the *.formatted was easy to find:
http://svn.apache.org/r960848
corresponding to
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MASSEMBLY-462
I read quickly this Jira issue, I didn't really catch what created the
.formatted file that this exclude was "workarounding"
But there is an IT associated: I don't know if it really checks perfectly
about that file, but should. And if the IT works without this workaround, we
can remove the now unused workaround
Still need some investigation

For *.filtered, it is more tricky since the code was changed in a little
refactoring in http://svn.apache.org/r628941 and svn blame does not work for
code at that version
Does anybody know how to find the commit that added this exclusion?

BTW, removing such code without knowing why it was there is not something I'm
ok with: can you revert please and continue together investigations?

Thanks

Hervé