Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by William Brogden <wb...@bga.com> on 2000/10/10 00:51:04 UTC

Re: Classloader Problem?

Julian Templeman wrote:

> Hi all...
>
> I'm trying to install Tomcat 3.1 on a Windows NT4 machine running
> JDK1.3. This has worked fine on many machines before, but on one
> machine in particular I'm getting a strange crash.
>
> When Tomcat starts, I get the following error:
>
> java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
> org/apache/tomcat/service/http/HttpConnectionHandler
>        <snip>
>         at org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat.execute(Tomcat.java:143)
>         at org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat.main(Tomcat.java:163)
>
> The strange part is that I know the classpath is correctly set,
> because Tomcat has done it in the tomcat.bat file, and the
> HttpConnectionHandler class is definitely in the right place in the
> webserver.jar file.
>
> Any ideas on what might be causing this will be gratefully received.
>
> julian

I suspect that is due to a JAR file conflict - possibly a JAR
file left over from a JSDK installation.

WBB

Re: Classloader Problem?

Posted by William Brogden <wb...@bga.com>.

Julian Templeman wrote:

> William said...
>
> >I suspect that is due to a JAR file conflict - possibly a JAR
> >file left over from a JSDK installation.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion, but... I'm running with nothing else on the
> classpath, and no Java directories on the path, either. The search
> continues...
>
> julian

Remember, with Java 1.2, JAR files in the standard extensions
directory
are automatically on the classpath - it was a jsdk.jar in
  D:\JDK1.2\jre\lib\ext
that tripped me up for days.
--
WBB - wbrogden@bga.com  Chief Scientist, LANWrights, Inc.
Java Programmer Certification information and mock exam

Re: Classloader Problem?

Posted by Julian Templeman <ju...@groucho.demon.co.uk>.
William said...

>I suspect that is due to a JAR file conflict - possibly a JAR
>file left over from a JSDK installation.

Thanks for the suggestion, but... I'm running with nothing else on the
classpath, and no Java directories on the path, either. The search
continues...

julian

Templeman Consulting Limited
London and North Wales