Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Craig Burlock <cr...@gmail.com> on 2011/12/20 04:45:58 UTC

What is the easiest way to clone an existing SVN Repository and include only some of the projects?

Hello all,

I need to create a new SVN Repository based on my existing SVN Repository
for another software development team. Due to security reasons, the new SVN
Repository must contain only a selection of my existing projects and must
include code and change history.

Can this be done?

Is it easy?

Any advice would be wonderful!

Re: What is the easiest way to clone an existing SVN Repository and include only some of the projects?

Posted by Doug Hunley <do...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 22:55, Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 22:45, Craig Burlock <cr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I need to create a new SVN Repository based on my existing SVN Repository
>> for another software development team. Due to security reasons, the new SVN
>> Repository must contain only a selection of my existing projects and must
>> include code and change history.
>>
>> Can this be done?
>>
>> Is it easy?
>>
>> Any advice would be wonderful!
>
> Dump the repository (svnadmin dump), then wash the dumpfile through
> svndumpfilter to either selectively extract the paths you are allowed
> to have, or remove the ones you aren't.
>
> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.7/svn.ref.svndumpfilter.html

I have never hated a program more than I hate svndumpfilter ;)

Whenever I need to do what is asked for herein, I use 'svnsync' since
it now allows you to set the 'from' repo as a *path* in a repo:
https://server/repo/path0/path1

That 'clones' just the 'path1' into the 'to' repo

;)
--
Douglas J Hunley (doug.hunley@gmail.com)
Twitter: @hunleyd                                               Web:

Re: What is the easiest way to clone an existing SVN Repository and include only some of the projects?

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.