Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Ja...@rzf.fin-nrw.de on 2005/08/02 12:22:42 UTC

FYI: document the code

You know that we (for several months :) are discussing about
autogenerating the manual.
I think we should have an eye on one of the Apache Google Summer of Code
projects - RefDoc.
Maybe we could reuse parts or the whole of it.

See
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=112289337320271&w=2
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/gsoc/rgraham/refdoc/

Jan

Re: FYI: document the code

Posted by James Fuller <ji...@ruminate.co.uk>.
Kev Jackson wrote:

> James Fuller wrote:
>
>> Jan.Materne@rzf.fin-nrw.de wrote:
>>

>>> You know that we (for several months :) are discussing about
>>> autogenerating the manual.
>>> I think we should have an eye on one of the Apache Google Summer of
>>> Code
>>> projects - RefDoc.
>>> Maybe we could reuse parts or the whole of it.
>>>
>>> See
>>> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=112289337320271&w=2
>>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/gsoc/rgraham/refdoc/
>>>

>> +1
>>

> definitely +1
>
>> my only worry would be any dep on something as big as cocoon.... (though
>> current experience using native xml db eXist has been quite good, which
>> also uses cocoon)
>>

> [OT]
> What's the database like?  I've never used a native XML format db
> (although I heard that DB2 has some pretty good native XML storage
> abilities)

eXist is great, also has a suite of Ant tasks (a bit flaky though
getting better).

>  :)

I think the approach needs to take into account several potential
upstream routes; xdoclet definately being one of them.

so the process could be;

Step 1: aggregate source

[source (xhtml)
source (docbook)
source (xdoclet)
source (rss/atom)
source (whatever xml)
....]

we could create a pluggable arch and just do those that we are
interested in...and leave it to others to implement if they want.

Step 2: generate canonical Ant Doc format which should render something
in the browser so we dont have to go another transform step

Step 3: XSLT generates final format

what u think?

--jim

Re: FYI: document the code

Posted by Kev Jackson <ke...@it.fts-vn.com>.
James Fuller wrote:

>Jan.Materne@rzf.fin-nrw.de wrote:
>

>>You know that we (for several months :) are discussing about
>>autogenerating the manual.
>>I think we should have an eye on one of the Apache Google Summer of Code
>>projects - RefDoc.
>>Maybe we could reuse parts or the whole of it.
>>
>>See
>>http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=112289337320271&w=2
>>http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/gsoc/rgraham/refdoc/
>>

>+1

definitely +1

>my only worry would be any dep on something as big as cocoon.... (though
>current experience using native xml db eXist has been quite good, which
>also uses cocoon)

[OT]
What's the database like?  I've never used a native XML format db
(although I heard that DB2 has some pretty good native XML storage
abilities)

>http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/CocoonRefDocProject
>
>perhaps the reason for this not going forward is not related to the
>'how', but agreement on the semantics. I would argue that however 'way'
>this happens that a  micro xml format is needed first for describing Ant
>tasks, pref one that integrates with existing ant itself. The resultant
>doc format can easily be generated using Ant; I think this is an
>opportunity much larger then just solving Ant's doc issues. The idea of
>the final format being pdf, docbook, xhtml, or whatever in between
>format for further processing is trivial.

So you would run Ant over your code to generate an intermediate format
from whatever you annotated your code with and Voila! instant doc.
SSounds like XDoclet on steroids :)

Kev

Re: FYI: document the code

Posted by James Fuller <ji...@ruminate.co.uk>.
Jan.Materne@rzf.fin-nrw.de wrote:

>You know that we (for several months :) are discussing about
>autogenerating the manual.
>I think we should have an eye on one of the Apache Google Summer of Code
>projects - RefDoc.
>Maybe we could reuse parts or the whole of it.
>
>See
>http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=112289337320271&w=2
>http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/gsoc/rgraham/refdoc/

+1

my only worry would be any dep on something as big as cocoon.... (though
current experience using native xml db eXist has been quite good, which
also uses cocoon)

http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/CocoonRefDocProject

perhaps the reason for this not going forward is not related to the
'how', but agreement on the semantics. I would argue that however 'way'
this happens that a  micro xml format is needed first for describing Ant
tasks, pref one that integrates with existing ant itself. The resultant
doc format can easily be generated using Ant; I think this is an
opportunity much larger then just solving Ant's doc issues. The idea of
the final format being pdf, docbook, xhtml, or whatever in between
format for further processing is trivial.

cheers, Jim Fuller