Posted to dev@syncope.apache.org by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org> on 2012/11/10 14:34:32 UTC

[DISCUSS] Customer reference in NOTICE

Hi all,
I am currently working on SYNCOPE-171 (Role provisioning) and related
issues.

This work is actually paid by one of my customers that is actually
financed in turn by SURFnet.
They explicitly required that such code has to be part of the official
Syncope repository and releases but are asking to include in the NOTICE
file the following extract:

Portions of this software are developed by the support of the SURF, the
higher education and research partnership organization for Information and
Communications Technology (ICT) in The Netherlands.  For more information
about SURF, please visit www.surf.nl.

They have also provided a previous reference [1] in Apache Rave.

I don't see any problem with this, but I'd like to understand if you see
any issue.

Best regards.

[1]
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/rave/donations/surfconext-portal/coin-portal/trunk/NOTICE

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò

http://people.apache.org/~ilgrosso/

Re: [DISCUSS] Customer reference in NOTICE

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Le 11/13/12 5:56 PM, Francesco Chicchiriccò a écrit :
> On 13/11/2012 17:27, Emmanuel Lécharny wrote:
>> Le 11/13/12 4:11 PM, Jan Bernhardt a écrit :
>>> Sounds fair.
>> IMHO, and IANAL being added, adding a reference somwhere in a Notice is
>> just a no brainer. *But*, and this has to be checked with legal@a.o,
>> remains the problem of copyright. Just signaling that a part of code was
>> developped with some external entity fonds does not necessarily imply
>> that the code is now copyrighted under The AL 2.0. I think you should
>> ask for more : that the entity which paid for the developpement - so to
>> speak, which then owns the code - formally grant The ASF the right to
>> use the code under an AL 2.0.
>>
>> Again, IANAL...
> Sorry, I should have tell this before: they have already signed and sent
> the software grant [1] and the corporate CLA [2] for Rave.
>
> I guess then that they only have to submit a new software grant [1] for
> "Role provisioning features for Apache Syncope", right?

The fact that they have signed a sofware grant for a project does not
implicitely implies they want that all what they paid for should be
granted to The ASF.

I know, I know, this is probably exactly what they have in mind, and I'm
splitting hairs in 4 here, but still, check with Legal if there is not
something they should wrt the software grant for Syncope...

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: [DISCUSS] Customer reference in NOTICE

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.
On 13/11/2012 17:27, Emmanuel Lécharny wrote:
> Le 11/13/12 4:11 PM, Jan Bernhardt a écrit :
>> Sounds fair.
> IMHO, and IANAL being added, adding a reference somwhere in a Notice is
> just a no brainer. *But*, and this has to be checked with legal@a.o,
> remains the problem of copyright. Just signaling that a part of code was
> developped with some external entity fonds does not necessarily imply
> that the code is now copyrighted under The AL 2.0. I think you should
> ask for more : that the entity which paid for the developpement - so to
> speak, which then owns the code - formally grant The ASF the right to
> use the code under an AL 2.0.
>
> Again, IANAL...

Sorry, I should have tell this before: they have already signed and sent
the software grant [1] and the corporate CLA [2] for Rave.

I guess then that they only have to submit a new software grant [1] for
"Role provisioning features for Apache Syncope", right?

Regards.

[1] http://www.apache.org/licenses/software-grant.txt
[2] http://www.apache.org/licenses/cla-corporate.txt

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jan Bernhardt <jb...@talend.com>.
Sounds fair.

Regards.
Jan

Posted by Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org>.
I don't see any problem with this either.

Colm.

On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 1:34 PM, Francesco Chicchiriccò <ilgrosso@apache.org
> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I am currently working on SYNCOPE-171 (Role provisioning) and related
> issues.
>
> This work is actually paid by one of my customers that is actually
> financed in turn by SURFnet.
> They explicitly required that such code has to be part of the official
> Syncope repository and releases but are asking to include in the NOTICE
> file the following extract:
>
> Portions of this software are developed by the support of the SURF, the
> higher education and research partnership organization for Information and
> Communications Technology (ICT) in The Netherlands.  For more information
> about SURF, please visit www.surf.nl.
>
> They have also provided a previous reference [1] in Apache Rave.
>
> I don't see any problem with this, but I'd like to understand if you see
> any issue.
>
> Best regards.
>
> [1]
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/rave/donations/surfconext-portal/coin-portal/trunk/NOTICE
>
> --
> Francesco Chicchiriccò
>
> ASF Member, Apache Cocoon PMC and Apache Syncope PPMC Member
> http://people.apache.org/~ilgrosso/

--
Colm O hEigeartaigh

Talend Community Coder