Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Martin Kraemer <Ma...@mch.sni.de> on 1997/07/30 13:32:23 UTC

[Q]: Add extra makefile.w95 to 1.3a?

Hello Apache developers,

>From my side, too, congrats to the successful port to Win95/WinNT!

One problem, however: In the Makefile.nt, all compilation rules contain
multi-statement compile directives like

apached:
    cd nt & set CFG=ApacheModuleStatus - Win32 Debug& nmake /nologo -f ApacheModuleStatus.mak

On NT, this may work, on Win95, it doesn't.

Win95 doesn't have the capability to execute more than one command per
line (at least not using command.com), so this results in an error
message about the "cd" command:

    Too many parameters - &

A simple solution to make Apache compile successfully under Win95 is to
un-wrap the commands (un-unix-like) like this:

apached:
    @echo === Compiling ApacheModuleStatus - Win32 Debug ===
    cd nt
    set CFG=ApacheModuleStatus - Win32 Debug
    nmake /nologo -f ApacheModuleStatus.mak
    cd ..
    @echo === Compiling ApacheModuleAuthAnon - Win32 Debug ===
    cd nt
    set CFG=ApacheModuleAuthAnon - Win32 Debug
    nmake /nologo -f ApacheModuleAuthAnon.mak
    cd ..
...etc.

I tried this successfully for the debug branch - shouldn't we add such a
Makefile.w95 to the distribution? The market share of potential
developers with VC++5.0 and W95 is probably still bigger than with WinNT.
If you're interested, I can finish the Makefile.w95 and send it to the list.

    Martin

Re: [Q]: Add extra makefile.w95 to 1.3a?

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
Martin Kraemer wrote:

> Hello Apache developers,
>
> >From my side, too, congrats to the successful port to Win95/WinNT!
>
> One problem, however: In the Makefile.nt, all compilation rules contain
> multi-statement compile directives like
>
> apached:
>     cd nt & set CFG=ApacheModuleStatus - Win32 Debug& nmake /nologo -f ApacheModuleStatus.mak
>
> On NT, this may work, on Win95, it doesn't.
>
> Win95 doesn't have the capability to execute more than one command per
> line (at least not using command.com), so this results in an error
> message about the "cd" command:
>
>     Too many parameters - &
>
> A simple solution to make Apache compile successfully under Win95 is to
> un-wrap the commands (un-unix-like) like this:
>
> apached:
>     @echo === Compiling ApacheModuleStatus - Win32 Debug ===
>     cd nt
>     set CFG=ApacheModuleStatus - Win32 Debug
>     nmake /nologo -f ApacheModuleStatus.mak
>     cd ..
>     @echo === Compiling ApacheModuleAuthAnon - Win32 Debug ===
>     cd nt
>     set CFG=ApacheModuleAuthAnon - Win32 Debug
>     nmake /nologo -f ApacheModuleAuthAnon.mak
>     cd ..
> ...etc.
>
> I tried this successfully for the debug branch - shouldn't we add such a
> Makefile.w95 to the distribution? The market share of potential
> developers with VC++5.0 and W95 is probably still bigger than with WinNT.
> If you're interested, I can finish the Makefile.w95 and send it to the list.

If you use that style, does it also work on NT? Obviously, life will be
easier with a single makefile!

Cheers,

Ben.

--
Ben Laurie                Phone: +44 (181) 994 6435  Email:
ben@algroup.co.uk