Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Terry Kilshaw <te...@quantechsoftware.com> on 2004/03/17 19:43:27 UTC

is subversion useful for mainly binary projects?

We are using CVS with the Tortoise client for source code control of our Filemaker projects. Filemaker files are binaries. Our Filemaker application solution consists of about 60 Filemaker files that 3 programmers work on.

CVS is used as a check-out/check-in system using the CVS Edit/Commit commands. That's the only way to work with binaries. They can't be merged.

Subversion is supposedly designed to handle binary files more efficiently than CVS. But the Subversion documents, which are generally excellent, don't mention check-out/check-in as a Subversion option, other than to dis it.

My questions:

Is Subversion usable for binary-only projects like ours?

If so, how?

Does it have, hidden away somewhere, the equivalent of the CVS edit/unedit commands?

thanks,

Terry

Re: is subversion useful for mainly binary projects?

Posted by Neil Gower <ne...@digitalextremes.com>.
Terry Kilshaw wrote:

>>>Does it have, hidden away somewhere, the equivalent of the CVS
> edit/unedit commands?
>>
>>svn does not implement locking, if that's what you mean.
>
> Yes. That is what I mean. If there is no locking there is nothing to stop
> two programers from changing the same file at the same time. This is not-OK
> for binary-based work like filemaker. There is no way to merge the changes.
>
> I would conclude that SVN is not a good chioce for a binary-only project
> like ours. Though for the other reasons you gave, it would be nice.

One option that does exist for svn users right now is to access binaries
through WebDAV, and using WebDAV's locking mechanism:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/html-chunk/apcs02.html#svn-app-c-sect2.3

As I understand it, Windows clients can't edit in place with this
solution (they have to copy-edit-clobber).  Also, this solution can be
circumvented if someone uses something other than WebDAV to access those
resource in the repository.

It's a hack, but it might be enough to get you started until locking is
implemented in Subversion.  :-)

Cheers,

Neil.

Re: is subversion useful for mainly binary projects?

Posted by McClain Looney <m...@loonsoft.com>.
legend has it, there will be some update on its possible implementation soon.
i'm guessing 1.1 (just a guess tho)

--
McClain Looney
LoonSoft LLC

Re: is subversion useful for mainly binary projects?

Posted by Terry Kilshaw <te...@quantechsoftware.com>.

Posted by McClain Looney <m...@loonsoft.com>.
On Wednesday 17 March 2004 01:43 pm, Terry Kilshaw wrote:
> Subversion is supposedly designed to handle binary files more efficiently
> than CVS. But the Subversion documents, which are generally excellent,
> don't mention check-out/check-in as a Subversion option, other than to dis
> it.

the way in which svn is more efficient with binaries, is that instead of
keeping full copies for each revision of a binary file, it keeps reverse
diffs, saving huge space, bandwidth and update time.

i'm not sure what your last sentence means though. can you clarify?

> Is Subversion usable for binary-only projects like ours?

very much so. you'll like it much better.  you don't even have to specify -kb
when adding binaries.

> If so, how?

it functions very similarly to cvs in every day use. if you have figured out
cvs, you won't have much trouble migrating.