Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> on 2003/01/09 00:09:18 UTC

Re: cvs commit: httpd-docs-1.3/htdocs/manual/howto auth.html

On 8 Jan 2003 kess@apache.org wrote:

>   -$salt = '', map { $chars[int rand @chars] } (0..1);
>   +$salt = $chars[int rand @chars] . $chars[int rand @chars];

That's what I get for trying to be clever with the Perl code. This is
not broken just on Perl 5.6.0 and 5.6.1, but won't work anywhere at all.
I had intended for that , to be a . but that won't work either. And the
new version is, I suppose, more readable anyways.

I'm a little confused by the rest of the diff, though, which a dozen
other lines being replaced with themselves. What's up with that?

--
Nothing is perfekt. Certainly not me.
Success to failure. Just a matter of degrees.

Re: cvs commit: httpd-docs-1.3/htdocs/manual/howto auth.html

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org>.
--On Wednesday, January 08, 2003 18:09:18 -0500 Rich Bowen
<rb...@rcbowen.com> wrote:

> I'm a little confused by the rest of the diff, though, which a dozen
> other lines being replaced with themselves. What's up with that?

Line endings being morphed perhaps?  -- justin

Re: cvs commit: httpd-docs-1.3/htdocs/manual/howto auth.html

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org>.

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org>.

Posted by Astrid Keßler <ke...@kess-net.de>.
> 	If you're using regular CVS, try checking in with
> "--ignore-space-change", or "-b"; if you find an option that helps,
> you should be able to put it into ~/.cvsrc, as in "diff -b".

Thank you for this hint. But this is not what I want. I do not want to
commit the whitespace changes. With the help of "cvs diff
--ignore-space-changes" I would have to do the work at a copy of my
checkout, create a diff, patch my checkout and then commit this.

Ugh, then I'm better using another editor.

 Kess

Re: cvs commit: httpd-docs-1.3/htdocs/manual/howto auth.html

Posted by Chris Pepper <pe...@reppep.com>.
At 1:57 AM +0100 2003/01/09, Astrid Keßler wrote:
>  >> This is because my editor changes tabs to spaces and truncates trailing
>>>  spaces. So there are non visible changes.
>>
>>  Please don't mix visible changes with non-visible changes in the same
>>  commit.  -- justin
>
>Can you give me a hint how to do so? I can't influence the invisible
>changes me editor does. Is there any way to exclude them from a cvs commit?
>Or will I have to change my editor?
>I would be glad to get some help.

	If you're using regular CVS, try checking in with
"--ignore-space-change", or "-b"; if you find an option that helps,
you should be able to put it into ~/.cvsrc, as in "diff -b".

	If you're using a CVS checkin funciton built into your
editor, I'd file a bug against tab mangling -- what editor are you
using?

	diff.1 says:

        -b     Ignore changes in amount of white space.

        --ignore-all-space
	      Ignore white space when comparing lines.

        --ignore-space-change
	      Ignore changes in amount of white space.

        -w     Ignore white space when comparing lines.

						Regards,

						Chris Pepper
--
Chris Pepper:               <http://www.reppep.com/~pepper/>
Rockefeller University:     <http://www.rockefeller.edu/>

Re: cvs commit: httpd-docs-1.3/htdocs/manual/howto auth.html

Posted by Astrid Keßler <ke...@kess-net.de>.

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org>.
--On Thursday, January 09, 2003 01:00:15 +0100 Astrid Keßler

Posted by Astrid Keßler <ke...@kess-net.de>.
> That's what I get for trying to be clever with the Perl code. This is
> not broken just on Perl 5.6.0 and 5.6.1, but won't work anywhere at all.
> I had intended for that , to be a . but that won't work either. And the
> new version is, I suppose, more readable anyways.

I was only a little bit lazy. No thought about readability.

Hm, thinking about a second time it seems, that you wanted to use the
following:
   $salt = join '', map {$char[rand(@chars)]} (0..1);
This should work everywhere. And it looks nicer for me, but but maybe not
for a Perl beginner. And I would bet, this is more slowly.