Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Jim Evans <hi...@gmail.com> on 2006/07/01 23:34:39 UTC

Not even testing spam

Hi

I've got Spamassassin 3.03 on a Debian box, and I use it through
procmail to mark all my local mail.

A few really obvious spam mails get through every day. They don't seem
to have even been tested, which I don't understand. I haven't added
any "whitelist" addresses, so why doesn't it test them? the header
looks like:

Subject: Just published No Exam or Classes Required
 Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 08:56:48 +0800

Anyone got any idea why Spamassassin is ingoring these?

thanks

Jim

Re: Not even testing spam

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Jim Evans" <hi...@gmail.com>

> Hi
>
> I've got Spamassassin 3.03 on a Debian box, and I use it through
> procmail to mark all my local mail.
>
> A few really obvious spam mails get through every day. They don't seem
> to have even been tested, which I don't understand. I haven't added
> any "whitelist" addresses, so why doesn't it test them? the header
> looks like:
>
> Subject: Just published No Exam or Classes Required
> Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 08:56:48 +0800
>
> Anyone got any idea why Spamassassin is ingoring these?
>
> thanks

Upgrade.

If you look in your logs you will see an PerMsgStatus error. Newer
SAs fix this. (Note that even the newer SAs will cause problems for
messages during a restart or reload after getting updated rules.)

(I have my procmail look for missing markups and run through
spamassassin when that happens.)

{^_^}

Re: Not even testing spam

Posted by Magnus Holmgren <ho...@lysator.liu.se>.
On Saturday 01 July 2006 23:34, Jim Evans took the opportunity to write:
> A few really obvious spam mails get through every day. They don't seem
> to have even been tested, which I don't understand. I haven't added
> any "whitelist" addresses, so why doesn't it test them? the header
> looks like:

Let's see, I think the standard procedure is like this:

1. run "spamassassin --lint" to check the configuration syntax
2. If any problem is reported, run "spamassassin -D --lint" to get the details
3. run "spamassassin -t -D < spam.msg" to see in detail what SA is doing.
4. post the offending messages in full (preferably on a web server and provide
an URL) so the list members can analyze them.

--
Magnus Holmgren        holmgren@lysator.liu.se
                       (No Cc of list mail needed, thanks)