Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "Steven W. Orr" <st...@syslang.net> on 2006/06/19 15:08:16 UTC

Can SA be used to implement greylisting?

I'm running sendmail here on a home server. I've been looking for a good
greylist package and I frankly have not found one. There are a couple out
there but they work in memory and don't maintain their tables in a
database.

I'm also running spamass-milter which is set to reject mail ifd SA says
it's spam. Is it worthwhile to try to convince the SA dev crowd to add
greylist functionality? I know it would be easy to modify spamass-milter
to return the needed info to sendmail. It would require a new table.

Does this make sense?

steveo at syslang.net

Re: Can SA be used to implement greylisting?

Posted by Jonas Eckerman <jo...@frukt.org>.

My greylist code <http://whatever.frukt.org/mimedefangfilter.text.shtml> using the milter MIMEDefang <http://www.mimedefang.org/> keeps the tables in a SQLite database (wich means it shouldn't be too hard porting to a server based SQL database).

> I'm also running spamass-milter which is set to reject mail ifd SA says
> it's spam. Is it worthwhile to try to convince the SA dev crowd to add
> greylist functionality?

One of the key benefits of "normal" greylisting is that it you don't need to call SpamAssassin, anti virus stuff, etc, at all for the messages that never makes it through a SMTP level grey list.

Also, SpamAssassin cannot itself refuse to accept a mail, so the SMTP software still has to be involved for grey listing to work.

/Jonas

--
Jonas Eckerman, FSDB & Fruktträdet
http://whatever.frukt.org/