Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by tl...@860.org on 2001/04/02 16:56:58 UTC

Re: Long waits on SQL Stored Procs. Should I use chained content

> Could you make the page displaying the animated gif have a "refresh" tag
> of maybe 30 (or fewer) seconds, at the end of which it could redirect
> to a page that could see if the query has finished?  If not, it would
> return to the animated gif page again and wait some more.

Thank you for the advice.

This is the part where I have the major stump.   How would I get the refresh
tag to call the script, and have the script remember the query?  I mean, once I
refresh a page, doesnt it -re-call- the script, thus shooting off another query
against the db.

I suppose if I fork()'d the sql sp off, I could pass the PID to the script, and
the script could see if the PID is done. But then I have the Q of getting the
result set back and such.  Hrm..

Which is why I thought chained handlers would work...

package Intranet::header_push;

use strict;
use Apache::Constants 'OK';

sub handler {
        my $r=shift;
        for my $subs (\&header, \&body, \&footer) {
                $r->push_handlers(PerlHandler => $subs);
        }
        OK;
}

sub header {
        my $r = shift;
        $r->content_type('text/plain');
        $r->send_http_header;
        $r->print("header text..\n");
        OK;
}

sub body {
        my $r = shift;
        $r->print("body text..\n");
        OK;
}

sub footer {
        my $r = shift;
        $r->print("footer text..\n");
        OK;
}

1;

Taken from the Eagle book.  Writing apache modules with perl and c.  Oh, and of
course parrot. :)

Tom Sullivan,
webmaster@860.org