Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Reynardine <re...@loveable.com> on 2003/10/03 22:01:03 UTC

Newbie Struts Questions

Hello,

I've got Java HTTP servlets running under Tomcat.  Now I want to convert them to run under Struts.

1) Does Struts work with Tomcat Standalone or must I use Tomcat/Apache with a connector?  I would prefer to use just Tomcat and Struts.  Must I connect to Apache to get Struts to work? I hope not.

2) If I deploy a struts app, a new struts app directory is created under Tomcat/webapps/  e.g. Tomcat/webapps/mystrutsapp.  Must I edit Tomcat's server.xml and add a new <context> tag for this new directory Tomcat/webapps/mystrutsapp ? Or will Tomcat/Struts work it all out for me without me having to add a new context?

Any help very much appreciated !

Thank you,

Rey.
http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

http://corp.mail.com/careers

Re: Newbie Struts Questions

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
These really aren't Struts questions, but questions about web
applications in general. To learn more about web applications, a good
starting point is the Java Web Services Tutorial

http://java.sun.com/webservices/docs/1.0/tutorial/index.html

(which they had this when I was a newbie!)

Meanwhile, the answer to you questions are: You don't need to use Apache
too (if you don't want) and, by default, web applications autodeploy
under Tomcat, including Struts web applications.

HTH, Ted.

--
Ted Husted,
   Junit in Action  - <http://www.manning.com/massol/>,

"Get Ready, We're Moving Out!!" - <http://www.clark04.com>

Re: Newbie Struts Questions

Posted by Koni Roth <ko...@bluewin.ch>.
Hi Rey
1) Struts works with Tomcat standalone.
2) When I deployed my webapp I had to edit the server.xml. I simply
added one line:

<Context path="" docBase="mystrutsapp" debug="0"
reloadable="true"></Context>

Then I could access the webapp by:
http://localhost:8080/  or
http://localhost:8080/mystrutsapp