Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> on 2009/06/02 19:30:00 UTC

Use of a com.sun package name for Apache code...

A couple CXF users are having some issues with some CXF "xjc" plugins when
used along with Java 6.  See:

It really is a bug in JAXB and the Java6, but one they apparently aren't
fixing.  The only workaround that has been discovered is to make sure the
plugins are in a subpackage of "com.sun.tools.xjc.addon" as the classloaders
that are setup allow those through.

Thus, can CXF release 2 small classes in our Jar that are in a package like:

com.sun.tools.xjc.addon.apache_cxf......

or similar?    I REALLY hate doing that, but we haven't been able to figure
out any other real option.

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org

Re: Use of a com.sun package name for Apache code...

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Daniel Kulp wrote:
> A couple CXF users are having some issues with some CXF "xjc" plugins when
> used along with Java 6.  See:
>
> It really is a bug in JAXB and the Java6, but one they apparently aren't
> fixing.  The only workaround that has been discovered is to make sure the
> plugins are in a subpackage of "com.sun.tools.xjc.addon" as the classloaders
> that are setup allow those through.
>
> Thus, can CXF release 2 small classes in our Jar that are in a package like:
>
> com.sun.tools.xjc.addon.apache_cxf......
>
> or similar?    I REALLY hate doing that, but we haven't been able to figure
> out any other real option.

We have done a similar thing in Apache Harmony, to cover some 'de facto
APIs'.  In general, they are shims that redirect to the implementation
in org.apache packages to make it clear they don't come from Sun.

Regards,
Tim

Re: Use of a com.sun package name for Apache code...

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
IANAL AIDPOOTV...

go for it.

geir