Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Amit Jha <sh...@gmail.com> on 2014/01/18 15:44:31 UTC

SolrCloud Cluster Setup - Shard & Replica

Hi,

I tried to create 2 shard cluster with shard replica of a collection. For
this set up I used two physical machines. In this set up I have installed 1
shard and replica in Machine A and another 1 shard and 1 replica in Machine
B.
Now when I stop both shard and replica on machine B. I was not able to
perform search. I would like to know how can I set up a fail safe cluster
using two machines?
I would like achieve the use case where if machine goes down, Still I can
serve the search request. I have a constraint where I can not add more
machine. Is there any alternative to achieve the use case?

Regards
Amit

Re: SolrCloud Cluster Setup - Shard & Replica

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
This should "just work" _if_
1> you have a ZooKeeper quorum running somewhere. Obviously NOT on the
machine you take down.
2> machine 1 hosts both shards and machine 2 hosts both shards. It
doesn't matter where the leaders are, but to get complete search
results you must have at least one replica for each shard running.

Best,
Erick