Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Jay Hill <ja...@gmail.com> on 2009/09/16 16:39:43 UTC

Any way to encrypt/decrypt stored fields?

For security reasons (say I'm indexing very sensitive data, medical records
for example) is there a way to encrypt data that is stored in Solr? Some
businesses I've encountered have such needs and this is a barrier to them
adopting Solr to replace other legacy systems. Would it require a
custom-written filter to encrypt during indexing and decrypt at query time,
or is there something I'm unaware of already available to do this?

-Jay

Re: Any way to encrypt/decrypt stored fields?

Posted by Bill Au <bi...@gmail.com>.
That's certainly something that is doable with a filter.  I am not aware of
any available.

Bill

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@gmail.com>.
This could be achieved purely client-side if all you're talking about
is a stored field (not indexed/searchable).  The client-side could
encrypt and encode the encrypted bits as text that Solr/Lucene can
store.  Then decrypt client-side.

	Erik