Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> on 2011/07/19 08:42:37 UTC

Bluesky cleanup? (was: [RESULT][VOTE] Retire Bluesky Podling)

(dropping bluesky-dev)

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 9:30 PM, Bernd Fondermann
<be...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> ...The vote to retire Bluesky succeeds...

Is anyone taking care of cleaning up BlueSky, deleting code from svn
(I assume that's needed), closing mailing lists etc?

-Bertrand

Re: Bluesky cleanup? (was: [RESULT][VOTE] Retire Bluesky Podling)

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 8:10 AM, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If no one else wants to, and if there is no stay of execution, then
> I'll run the following tomorrow night:
>
>  svn remove http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/bluesky/

Cool - I have created INFRA-3785 asking for deletion of the mailing lists.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
Svn dump & private download for concerned party?

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chen Liu <li...@gmail.com>.
We need time to backup Bluesky.
Please dont delete us without any warnings.
Thanks!

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 6:48 AM, Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:
> Er, have you explicitly told the Bluesky lists that the repo is about to be
> deleted?  In very clear and plain terms, so there's no chance for
> miscommunication?

I think I just did :) Chen Liu's on the list.

> Before we nuke something, we should double-check that any relevant parties
> have had a chance to make their own backup of it.

It's an SCM. We're deleting, not nuking.

> Alternatively, we can simply turn off write access, and schedule the
> deletion in a week or so, to ensure it's not actively developed, but that
> it's available.

Fair - r/o is the first Attic step. I'll make it read-only tonight.
Once other items are identified it can then be moved on to the delete
step - no point making it harder to retire by having deleted the
website early etc.

Hen

Re: Bluesky cleanup? (was: [RESULT][VOTE] Retire Bluesky Podling)

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 3:48 PM, Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:
> ...Er, have you explicitly told the Bluesky lists that the repo is about to be
> deleted?  In very clear and plain terms, so there's no chance for
> miscommunication?
>
> Before we nuke something, we should double-check that any relevant parties
> have had a chance to make their own backup of it....

Right - I don't think we sent a clear warning to the bluesky dev list,
for now I have marked INFRA-3785 (mailing lists deletion) "later".

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
Er, have you explicitly told the Bluesky lists that the repo is about to
be deleted?  In very clear and plain terms, so there's no chance for
miscommunication?

Before we nuke something, we should double-check that any relevant
parties have had a chance to make their own backup of it.

Alternatively, we can simply turn off write access, and schedule the
deletion in a week or so, to ensure it's not actively developed, but
that it's available.

- Shane (apologies if the podling's community is already aware of the
impending deletion)

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 11:22 AM, Bernd Fondermann
<be...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 11:10, Chen Liu <li...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Has Bluesky project been retired by ASF?
>
> I'm sorry, but: yes.

See here for the vote results:
http://s.apache.org/7oo

And this markmail query provides more context:
http://s.apache.org/4Q2

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.
On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 11:10, Chen Liu <li...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Has Bluesky project been retired by ASF?

I'm sorry, but: yes.

> Can we continue to release work?

I'm not sure what you mean by release, but SVN will soon be closed for Bluesky.

  Bernd

Posted by Andreas Kuckartz <A....@ping.de>.
Am 19.07.2011 11:10, schrieb Chen Liu:
> Can we continue to release work?

Sure, but *not* within the Apache Incubator.

Cheers,
Andreas

Re: Bluesky cleanup? (was: [RESULT][VOTE] Retire Bluesky Podling)

Posted by Chen Liu <li...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chen Liu <li...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
> On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 9:30 PM, Bernd Fondermann
> <be...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> ...The vote to retire Bluesky succeeds...
>
> Is anyone taking care of cleaning up BlueSky, deleting code from svn
> (I assume that's needed), closing mailing lists etc?

Are there definitely no (ex-)mentors around who can clean up?

I wrote a guide based on former discussions: http://bit.ly/pv9IZ9
Feedback welcome, before I add it to the main nav