Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Jacob Beard <jb...@cs.mcgill.ca> on 2010/03/20 18:39:36 UTC

[SCXML] Google Summer of Code project idea

Hi all,

I have an idea for a Google Summer of Code project relating to SCXML,
and I wanted to post it and see if there would be any interest in it
in the Apache SCXML Commons community.

The basic idea of the project is to create a Statechart-to-JavaScript
compiler which is optimized for developing rich, browser-based user
interfaces on the world wide web. Statecharts are well-suited for
describing certain kinds of complex UI behaviour, and the browser
environment is already a particularly challenging platform for
front-end developers to target, hence a Statechart-to-JavaScript
compiler could be a great boon for web front-end developers. I have
already done some work on both developing rich, browser-based user
interfaces using SVG and Statecharts [0], and on constructing a
Statechart-to-JavaScript compiler, which takes a statechart encoded as
SCXML, and outputs optimized JavaScript. The work of the GSoC project
would be to complete the Statechart-to-JavaScript compiler, and
enhance it to support animated, graphical debugging, such that it
would generate a graphical representation of the statechart (using SVG
or Graphviz dot), and instrument the compiled code so that it animates
the graphical representation. This could then be hooked into a live
user-interface to allow one to graphically debug their user interface.
If anyone has any questions or comments, please let me know. Thanks,

Jake

[0] http://www.svgopen.org/2009/papers/36-Modelling_the_Reactive_Behaviour_of_SVGbased_Scoped_User_Interfaces_with_Hierarchicallylinked_Statecharts/

Re: [SCXML] Google Summer of Code project idea

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 6:38 PM, Jacob Beard <jb...@cs.mcgill.ca> wrote:
> Hi Rahul,
>
> Replies inline below:
>
> On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 11:07 AM, Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
<snip/>

>> Finally, while the document below is an ASF-specific guide to
>> mentoring, you may find it useful as it has some examples and details
>> about preparing and tagging GSoC proposals at the ASF:
>>
>>  http://community.apache.org/guide-to-being-a-mentor.html
>>
>> Please take a look at the page above. Further, I'd suggest creating a
>> proposal page on the SCXML wiki and providing a link in the tagged
>> JIRA issue.
>
> This is clear. Would the next step then be to link the SCXML JIRA
> issue to the main GSOC 2010 JIRA page[0]?

<snap/>

Once the issue is created (in the SCXML project in JIRA), we add the
'gsoc' label to it, and it will show up on that page [0]. I'll
follow-up on any todos at my end (such as signing up to be a GSoC
mentor) once your proposal takes shape here (on wiki + JIRA).

So, when you get a chance, please do these two things:

  * Fax / email your signed ICLA (details are on the form itself, link
was in my previous email). Let us know when its sent, and I can track
it and confirm its receipt by the ASF Secretary.
  * Work on a concrete proposal -- including scope, (tentative)
roadmap etc. (see examples /docs on GSoC site -- you probably have
already).

As always, if you have any questions, please email this list.

-Rahul

Posted by Jacob Beard <jb...@cs.mcgill.ca>.
Hi Rahul,

Replies inline below:

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 11:07 AM, Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 1:39 PM, Jacob Beard <jb...@cs.mcgill.ca> wrote:
>
> Thanks, this looks like an interesting proposal, and also a fitting
> one for a Google Summer of Code (GSoC) project (based purely on the
> details above).
>
> Roughly speaking, I understand you are proposing three connected
> pieces (correct me as needed):
> (a) SCXML -> JS compiler
> (b) browser-based graphical state chart representation (SVG or otherwise)
> (c) capabilities to provide graphical debugging of apps by
> instrumenting code from (a) and animating (b)
>
> Out of those, you may already have code for some part of (a) and/or (b).

That is correct.

> Then my first question is: Would you be willing to donate any existing
> code for the three items above and future code that will be developed
> as part of the GSoC project (if accepted) to the Apache Commons
> project? This will certainly involve filing an Individual Contributor
> License Agreement (ICLA) with the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) --
> see that form [1] for details -- and may also involve filing a
> software grant for existing code (we'll evaluate, if existing code has
> more authors, they will need to be contacted too).

Yes, that would be completely fine. I am the sole author, and would
like to see this work become incorporated upstream.

> If the answer to the above question is yes, then I can assist you in
> the proposal stage and volunteer as a mentor if you'd like.

Great!

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 1:39 PM, Jacob Beard <jb...@cs.mcgill.ca> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have an idea for a Google Summer of Code project relating to SCXML,
> and I wanted to post it and see if there would be any interest in it
> in the Apache SCXML Commons community.
>
> The basic idea of the project is to create a Statechart-to-JavaScript
> compiler which is optimized for developing rich, browser-based user
> interfaces on the world wide web. Statecharts are well-suited for
> describing certain kinds of complex UI behaviour, and the browser
> environment is already a particularly challenging platform for
> front-end developers to target, hence a Statechart-to-JavaScript
> compiler could be a great boon for web front-end developers. I have
> already done some work on both developing rich, browser-based user
> interfaces using SVG and Statecharts [0], and on constructing a
> Statechart-to-JavaScript compiler, which takes a statechart encoded as
> SCXML, and outputs optimized JavaScript. The work of the GSoC project
> would be to complete the Statechart-to-JavaScript compiler, and
> enhance it to support animated, graphical debugging, such that it
> would generate a graphical representation of the statechart (using SVG
> or Graphviz dot), and instrument the compiled code so that it animates
> the graphical representation. This could then be hooked into a live
> user-interface to allow one to graphically debug their user interface.
> If anyone has any questions or comments, please let me know. Thanks,

<snip/>

Thanks, this looks like an interesting proposal, and also a fitting
one for a Google Summer of Code (GSoC) project (based purely on the
details above).

Roughly speaking, I understand you are proposing three connected
pieces (correct me as needed):
(a) SCXML -> JS compiler
(b) browser-based graphical state chart representation (SVG or otherwise)
(c) capabilities to provide graphical debugging of apps by
instrumenting code from (a) and animating (b)

Out of those, you may already have code for some part of (a) and/or (b).

Then my first question is: Would you be willing to donate any existing
code for the three items above and future code that will be developed
as part of the GSoC project (if accepted) to the Apache Commons
project? This will certainly involve filing an Individual Contributor
License Agreement (ICLA) with the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) --
see that form [1] for details -- and may also involve filing a
software grant for existing code (we'll evaluate, if existing code has
more authors, they will need to be contacted too).

If the answer to the above question is yes, then I can assist you in
the proposal stage and volunteer as a mentor if you'd like.

Further, if this is accepted, we will do most of the work on this
public mailing list. However, if at any point (including now), there
is anything you don't want to post on a public list (or are unsure),
then you may email private@commons.apache.org (and I'll respond
there).

You may ofcourse begin using the Apache Commons resources available
for preparing your GSoC proposal. For Commons SCXML, here is the JIRA
project [2] and here is the wiki space [3] (there is a short
registration for creating accounts for either of those if you don't
already have JIRA and wiki accounts).

Finally, while the document below is an ASF-specific guide to
mentoring, you may find it useful as it has some examples and details
about preparing and tagging GSoC proposals at the ASF:

  http://community.apache.org/guide-to-being-a-mentor.html

Please take a look at the page above. Further, I'd suggest creating a
proposal page on the SCXML wiki and providing a link in the tagged
JIRA issue.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

-Rahul

[1] http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SCXML
[3] http://wiki.apache.org/commons/SCXML