Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net> on 2005/05/07 03:27:46 UTC

[mina] Vinod's perf stats

Hey guys,

IMHO the main page for MINA could have some of those stats for the
concurrency and other stats that Vinod generously reported to the list.
It would really show how much of a better alternative MINA really is in
terms of performace in comparison to other frameworks.  Just wanted to
get the idea out what do you thnk Trustin?

Alex

Re: [mina] Vinod's perf stats

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
Vinod Panicker wrote:

>Alex,
>
>Those stats really didnt mean anything concrete.  Its a great idea to
>put performance stats on the page though.  I'd advise that we hold on
>till we do tests related to throughput as well.

No problem take your time.  I was saying when this is ready it will be a
good add on to the front page to demonstrate MINA's abilities.  Then we
can start testing the abilities of ApacheDS now that 0.9 is going to be
out the door with MINA.

>Also, the NIO impl in
>the JVM has serious performance issues.  CPU and memory consumption
>are way too inflated.  We have to figure out a way around this to show
>MINA's real capabilities.

I understand - when Mina and you are ready :).

Cheers,
Alex

Re: [mina] Vinod's perf stats

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
Trustin Lee wrote:

>Hi,

<snip/>

>You're right.  I don't think we can make any hot performance chart
>till the release.  Let's do this after we release 0.7.

+1

>BTW do you guys know that MINA can support non-NIO?  We can simply
>implement stream-based I/O layer implementation that provides one
>thread per one socket thread model so that users choose what they
>prefer.

That's not bad for stateless protocols yah it makes sense.  Plus it
eliminates some notions that NIO is just bad if they can revert to using
non-NIO.  I did not no this.  THanks for the heads up (make sure its in
docs hehe).

Alex

Re: [mina] Vinod's perf stats

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

> On 5/7/05, Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> > Hey guys,
> >
> > IMHO the main page for MINA could have some of those stats for the
> > concurrency and other stats that Vinod generously reported to the list.
> > It would really show how much of a better alternative MINA really is in
> > terms of performace in comparison to other frameworks.  Just wanted to
> > get the idea out what do you thnk Trustin?

Sounds good, but we'll have to refine the benchmark framework first
that will take some time.

2005/5/7, Vinod Panicker <vi...@gmail.com>:
> Those stats really didnt mean anything concrete.  Its a great idea to
> put performance stats on the page though.  I'd advise that we hold on
> till we do tests related to throughput as well.  Also, the NIO impl in
> the JVM has serious performance issues.  CPU and memory consumption
> are way too inflated.  We have to figure out a way around this to show
> MINA's real capabilities.

You're right.  I don't think we can make any hot performance chart
till the release.  Let's do this after we release 0.7.

BTW do you guys know that MINA can support non-NIO?  We can simply
implement stream-based I/O layer implementation that provides one
thread per one socket thread model so that users choose what they
prefer.

Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/

Re: [mina] Vinod's perf stats

Posted by Vinod Panicker <vi...@gmail.com>.
Alex,

Those stats really didnt mean anything concrete.  Its a great idea to
put performance stats on the page though.  I'd advise that we hold on
till we do tests related to throughput as well.  Also, the NIO impl in
the JVM has serious performance issues.  CPU and memory consumption
are way too inflated.  We have to figure out a way around this to show
MINA's real capabilities.

My 2 paise.

Regards,
Vinod.