Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by Vinu Raj <vi...@wipro.com> on 2014/08/01 11:11:03 UTC

Using visualvm to profile/monitor karaf instance

I am trying profile an application deployed in Karaf 3.0.1 using visualvm.
Able attach the karaf instance if I run visualvm in same machine where karaf
instance is running but the monitoring tab of visualvm doesn't show any
updates and in sampling tab only memory sampling is supported. Tried with
suggestions available in
http://karaf.922171.n3.nabble.com/Using-Java-VisualVM-profiler-in-Karaf-td4032299.html
with same result.

When tried connection as remote JMX, connection not allowed with security
exception. Any pointers on how to get this working ?

Re: Using visualvm to profile/monitor karaf instance

Posted by Vinu Raj <vi...@wipro.com>.
Yes its working when I add a remote JMX with
service:jmx:rmi://0.0.0.0:44444/jndi/rmi://0.0.0.0:1099/karaf-root URL.

Re: Using visualvm to profile/monitor karaf instance

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
Hmm, you're right I've neither been able to connect to a local process
(NullPointerException) nor via the remote jmx connection.
I've created a Bug for this.

regards, Achim

[1] - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KARAF-3147

> I'm having the same problem connecting to a local process.
>
> I've started up a fresh install of Karaf 3.0.1 and run jconsole and pick
> the org.apache.karaf.main.Main local process and get the message about a
> secure connection failing, but proceed with the insecure connection.  It
> appears to connect but the console shows no statistics like for Vinu.
>
> However, if I use a remote connection and use
>
> service:jmx:rmi://0.0.0.0:44444/jndi/rmi://0.0.0.0:1099/karaf-root
>
> Then it all works ok, albeit with the same secure connection failing
> message.  Is there an issue with the local process connection?
>

> On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 9:27 AM, Vinu Raj <vi...@wipro.com> wrote:
>
>> I have tried this with no luck. Connected as insecure connection as got
>> error
>> for SSL connection.
>>
>> <http://karaf.922171.n3.nabble.com/file/n4034542/jconsole.png>
>>

>> --

Apache Member
Project Lead
blog <http://notizblog.nierbeck.de/>

Re: Using visualvm to profile/monitor karaf instance

Posted by Kevin Schmidt <kt...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vinu Raj <vi...@wipro.com>.

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

there is a documentation about it in the developer manual [1]

regards, Achim

[1] - http://karaf.apache.org/manual/latest/developers-guide/debugging.html