Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com> on 2019/04/04 11:39:52 UTC

NetBeans UserDir vs. Releases

Dear all,

I would like to ask your opinion about changing the user and cache-dir
with every release.

We have been pretty much compatible with our plugins and code since 8.2
and actually many of us are actually living on the edge using refreshed
dev versions every now and then without any issue.

So how do you think that having a non versioned user and cache-dir work
out (like: "release" instead of "11.0" or "11.1")?

I'm bringing this up for two + one reasons:

1. The user experience of the upgrades would be more seamless.

2. Avoid code change required to check the previous release folder.

+1 Abandoned  older user and cache dirs are just kept floating around.

Re: NetBeans UserDir vs. Releases

Posted by Gaurav Gupta <ga...@gmail.com>.
Plugins with implementation dependencies not gonna work this way.

Thanks
Gaurav Gupta

Sharing user dir but not cache dir was: NetBeans UserDir vs. Releases

Posted by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com>.
Dne čtvrtek 4. dubna 2019 14:17:57 CEST, Junichi Yamamoto napsal(a):
> The user directory includes plugins. The cache directory has a splash
> screen. So, probably, problems occur if a user uses NetBeans IDEs of
> different versions, I suppose.

## Problem with Caches

Right. Using two different versions of NetBeans on top of the same cache
directory will effectively disable the caches (or worse, break their
behavior).

## Backward Compatibility

Reusing user directory in newer version directly was always my dream, but we
never got it working properly - hence the QA required the "import of previous
version" behavior to import only what is explicitly requested and tested.

Sharing the user directory is technically possible. Future versions of the
code just have to be able to read older settings. That is achievable if good
coding practices are obeyed.

## Future Compatibility

However using the same directory by older versions is even more tricky. That
requires proper versioning and/or extensible settings format and not many
developers really think about that. Consider reading more in my [notes about
protocols](http://wiki.apidesign.org/wiki/Protocols) and related articles.

## Non Fixable Bug Reports

The problem with sharing the user directory is that we will get bug reports
that aren't reproducible without the actual user directory. E.g. there'll be
bugs nobody will be able to fix. We have been in such situation in the past -
when the upgrade was automatic, a lot of debris got into the new version and
the new code was not really to deal with it.

## Conclusion

If you want to share the user dir, you can. It will work to some extent.

In any case, don't share the cache directory between different versions.
Luckily there is a way to place caches elsewhere than under the user
directory...

Best regards and good luck.
-jt

Re: NetBeans UserDir vs. Releases

Posted by Junichi Yamamoto <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi Laszlo,

AW: NetBeans UserDir vs. Releases

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.
Hey Laszlo,

I’m in between. I’m for it, do to removing old stuff automatically and getting the preferences from previous Version. But also I often read that someone says: please delete your user dir, if someone encountered a problem. So there we can see smth is not that stable as expected and needs further Investigation somehow.

On the other hand I would not use the old preferences automatically or as default, due to mentioned problems. When I install a newer version of IntelliJ they ask me, whether I want to uninstall the old version with the old settings or not. So after it, it seems, that the old settings are the default.

So all in all, but with asking to use the old ones or not and not make it as default.

Cheers

Chris

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
Well it seems version dirs are here to stay.

I'd try to get the version updater be smart enough to figure out the
release.

It could be also possible to add a task which checks the previous
user/cache dirs and offer them for removal if they are not being used
for a month or so.

Posted by Tim Boudreau <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Glenn Holmer <ce...@kolabnow.com.INVALID>.
On 4/4/19 6:39 AM, Laszlo Kishalmi wrote:
> I would like to ask your opinion about changing the user and cache-dir
> with every release.

> I'm bringing this up for two + one reasons:
>
> 1. The user experience of the upgrades would be more seamless.
>
> 2. Avoid code change required to check the previous release folder.
>
> +1 Abandoned  older user and cache dirs are just kept floating around.

3. Multiple cache dirs == multiple Maven indexes:

2.0G    /home/cenbe/.cache/netbeans/11.0/mavenindex

--
Glenn Holmer (Linux registered user #16682)