Posted to general@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Charles Moulliard <ch...@gmail.com> on 2013/05/28 17:58:42 UTC

Fwd: Status of OSGI Support

Hi Chris,

Thx for the update. I will have a look perhaps next week

Regards,

Charles

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Hi Charles

I've made Batik and FOP OSGi-compatible in a private fork. Due to the
minimum requirement of Java 1.5, the SPI Fly approach through
java.util.Services is not possible. But I've created a small abstraction
that partly leverages SPI Fly but works with Java 1.5. I've planned to
submit [1] it to the Aries project but the initial submission showed a
flaw that I've later fixed. But since then I haven't resubmitted the
fixed version. I've got Batik and FOP running in production in an OSGi
environment with the ability to add and remove plug-ins at runtime. The
big problem is probably that I've done the necessary adjustments in
private forks. In the meantime, a lot has been changed including
backwards-incompatible changes of public APIs (mostly FOP) which I've
given up contesting. If you've got the time and energy to pursue it, I
can submit the fixed "SPI Catch" proposal and give you the changes
necessary for XGC and Batik, so you can migrate them to the current
trunks.

I'm not sure but I think the ServiceMix/Camel people have some kind of
OSGi-fied FOP version running for them. Probably even Batik:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/servicemix/smx4/bundles/trunk/batik-1.7/
But I don't know what they've done and how well it works.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARIES-938

HTH
Jeremias Maerki