Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org> on 2005/04/07 00:38:26 UTC

new lenya live site: mobiliar insurance company

http://www.mobi.ch recently went live with lenya.

mobiliar is the oldest private insuance company in switzerland with
about 4000 employees and 1.3M customers.

Re: new lenya live site: mobiliar insurance company

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Antonio Gallardo wrote:

>IMHO, hidding the name of the tools is good. ie: Nobody will likes if a
>word processor or printer writes a footer on every document:
>
>"Printed using HP XXX printer" or "OpenOffice Writer 1.1.4 Document"
>
>And IMHO this is why we don't push the Apache Lenya name in a visible place.

agreed. If people want to add "powered by Apache Lenya", then this
great, but
we shouldn't "force" them.

Michi

--
Michael Wechner

Re: new lenya live site: mobiliar insurance company

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.
On Jue, 7 de Abril de 2005, 7:10, Andreas Buerki dijo:
> Antonio Gallardo wrote:
>
>>On Jue, 7 de Abril de 2005, 4:25, Andreas Buerki dijo:
>>

>>>Good testimonial! ...and of course, I love the language switch :-)
>>>
>>>1.
>>>As newbie, I check very often accessibility / standards of a website,
>>>e.g. with:
>>>http://validator.w3.org/
>>>or/and
>>>http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator-uri.html
>>>
>>>With mobi.ch it showed me, that a few points would need to be improved
>>>in order to fulfill the w3 standards. But maybe this issue is not at all
>>>relevant for this website and it's easy access by visual impaired
>>>persons. I don't know. - As well in case Lenya is not responsible for
>>>the design (css, html, xhtml, etc.), it is still a Lenya reference.
>>>
>>>2.
>>>As well I check with my browser (firefox) the page ("Seitenquelltext
>>>anzeigen" = page source code?) in order to learn. Some CMS write their
>>>tag lines (advertising statement) very prominently at this place (e.g.
>>>Typo3), not a bad idea from a branding point of view.
>>>
>>>Would it be worth, the Lenya team thinks about decent branding of his
>>>work made? E.g.: - in the page source code. Or / And: - in the imprint /
>>>flag (Impressum) of the site. Or / And: - at the bottom of the site,
>>>like a quality tag ("Enabled by Lenya" or "Lenya serves content" etc.).
>>>-> Improvement of brand recognition
>>>

>>Checking the sources we see:

>>and on the http response headers, we read:

>>Simply, great! :-D
>>
>>Best Regards,
>>
>>Antonio Gallardo
>>

> Agree Antonio, it's there and an IT-Professional will know, what it is.
> My point was more towards a claim, understandable for everybody, e.g.:
>
> <!--
> 	This website is brought to you by TYPO3 - get.content.right
> 	TYPO3 is a free open source Content Management Framework created by
> Kasper Skaarhoj and licensed under GNU/GPL.
> 	TYPO3 is copyright 1998-2004 of Kasper Skaarhoj. Extensions are copyright
> of their respective owners.
> 	Information and contribution at http://www.typo3.com
> -->
>
> BTW: Maybe the Lenya Team / Apache Foundation thinks about some sort of
> a claim or of claims for their product families, as permanent and
> understandable branding strengthen the open source community and the
> public awareness as well.
>
> Coming back to the sources, onward you find as well:

> 	<title>Content Management - TYPO3</title>

> BTW: Did the Typo3 guys mistake meta name for content?

No sure, I see the diference: "generator" != "Generator" perhaps we need
to do a small research about the right meta name.

Posted by Andreas Buerki <ab...@anidor.com>.
Antonio Gallardo wrote:

>On Jue, 7 de Abril de 2005, 4:25, Andreas Buerki dijo:
>

>>Good testimonial! ...and of course, I love the language switch :-)
>>
>>1.
>>As newbie, I check very often accessibility / standards of a website,
>>e.g. with:
>>http://validator.w3.org/
>>or/and
>>http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator-uri.html
>>
>>With mobi.ch it showed me, that a few points would need to be improved
>>in order to fulfill the w3 standards. But maybe this issue is not at all
>>relevant for this website and it's easy access by visual impaired
>>persons. I don't know. - As well in case Lenya is not responsible for
>>the design (css, html, xhtml, etc.), it is still a Lenya reference.
>>
>>2.
>>As well I check with my browser (firefox) the page ("Seitenquelltext
>>anzeigen" = page source code?) in order to learn. Some CMS write their
>>tag lines (advertising statement) very prominently at this place (e.g.
>>Typo3), not a bad idea from a branding point of view.
>>
>>Would it be worth, the Lenya team thinks about decent branding of his
>>work made? E.g.: - in the page source code. Or / And: - in the imprint /
>>flag (Impressum) of the site. Or / And: - at the bottom of the site,
>>like a quality tag ("Enabled by Lenya" or "Lenya serves content" etc.).
>>-> Improvement of brand recognition
>>

>Checking the sources we see:

>and on the http response headers, we read:

>Simply, great! :-D
>
>Best Regards,
>
>Antonio Gallardo

Agree Antonio, it's there and an IT-Professional will know, what it is.
My point was more towards a claim, understandable for everybody, e.g.:

<!--
	This website is brought to you by TYPO3 - get.content.right
	TYPO3 is a free open source Content Management Framework created by Kasper Skaarhoj and licensed under GNU/GPL.
	TYPO3 is copyright 1998-2004 of Kasper Skaarhoj. Extensions are copyright of their respective owners.
	Information and contribution at http://www.typo3.com
-->

BTW: Maybe the Lenya Team / Apache Foundation thinks about some sort of
a claim or of claims for their product families, as permanent and
understandable branding strengthen the open source community and the
public awareness as well.

Coming back to the sources, onward you find as well:

	<title>Content Management - TYPO3</title>

BTW: Did the Typo3 guys mistake meta name for content?

Sincerely

Andreas

PS   I'm not a Typo3 enthusiast nor supporter... ;-)

Re: new lenya live site: mobiliar insurance company

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.

Posted by Andreas Buerki <ab...@anidor.com>.

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Jann Forrer wrote:

>On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 josias@wyona.com wrote:
>

>>>Hoi Gregor

>>>Schöne Seite!
>>>
>>>Im Seitencode steht aber oft noch die folgende directory-Struktur:
>>>
>>>href="/lenya/unizh/authoring/.."
>>>

>>Actually I fixed this quite some time ago, but it seems they didn't deploy
>>the new release yet.
>>

>Probably the unicms publiction has been used to develop the site. By the
>way why do all URL looks like
>http://www.mobi.ch/lenya/mobiliar/live/diemobiliar/portrait/geschichte/m-203001.html
>and not
>http://www.mobi.ch/diemobiliar/portrait/geschichte/m-203001.html ?
>(i.e. get rid of /context/pubname/area/ )

this should actually change in the near future.

>We had this problem too with a lenya version < 1.2.2 but it works quite
>well now see e.g. http://www.biologie.unizh.ch wich by the way is a  new
>lenya site, too :-)

can you post your configuration (mod_proxy, etc.) or is this still
uptodate re the Wiki?

Michi

>Jann

Michael Wechner

Re: new lenya live site: mobiliar insurance company

Posted by Jann Forrer <ja...@id.unizh.ch>.
On Mon, 11 Apr 2005, Michael Wechner wrote:

> Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
>

> > this makes me wonder if we should list all sites from the universities
> > of zurich and berne. they have dozens of publications live between
> > them. what do people think?
>

> I would suggest that we make a note about it, but I don't think it makes
> sense to list all subsites.

You can find the Univerisity of Zuerich Sites which are produced whith
lenya on:

http://www.unicms.unizh.ch/docu/live-pubs.html

Additionally we have about 45 Sites which are not yet live but under
construction.

Jann

Re: new lenya live site: mobiliar insurance company

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
> Jann Forrer wrote:
>
>> By the
>> way why do all URL looks like
>> http://www.mobi.ch/lenya/mobiliar/live/diemobiliar/portrait/geschichte/m-203001.html
>>
>> and not
>> http://www.mobi.ch/diemobiliar/portrait/geschichte/m-203001.html ?
>> (i.e. get rid of /context/pubname/area/ )

i wonder that too, but at the same time, this makes it pretty easy to
tell that it is a lenya site ;)

Re: new lenya live site: mobiliar insurance company

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Andreas Buerki wrote:

> My attitude is simple: If I'm proud about something, in this case the
> OpenSource CMS Lenya, I say it and I stick to it. Like: "Hey  look, I
> use a bloody good cms, it's open source, it's Apache Lenya!"

well, proud can have a different meaning for "big" companies ;-)

Michi

> Andreas

Michael Wechner

Re: new lenya live site: mobiliar insurance company

Posted by Andreas Buerki <ab...@anidor.com>.
Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:

> Jann Forrer wrote:
>
>> Probably the unicms publiction has been used to develop the site. By the
>> way why do all URL looks like
>> http://www.mobi.ch/lenya/mobiliar/live/diemobiliar/portrait/geschichte/m-203001.html
>>
>> and not
>> http://www.mobi.ch/diemobiliar/portrait/geschichte/m-203001.html ?
>> (i.e. get rid of /context/pubname/area/ )
>>
>> We had this problem too with a lenya version < 1.2.2 but it works quite
>> well now see e.g. http://www.biologie.unizh.ch wich by the way is a  new
>> lenya site, too :-)
>

> this makes me wonder if we should list all sites from the universities
> of zurich and berne. they have dozens of publications live between
> them. what do people think?

As a marketer, I still think the same as written in my earlier postings:
1 - Some kind of branding, on a unsolicited base, on the
"Seitenquelltext" and/or on the Internet site as such.
2 - A structured reference list on the official Apache Lenya homepage
(and others "semi" official pages). Structure: E.g.
Universities/Colleges  | NGO's/Non-Profit O  |  Multinational Companies

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jann Forrer <ja...@id.unizh.ch>.

Posted by jo...@wyona.com.
> Hoi Gregor
>
> "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org> writes:
>
>> http://www.mobi.ch recently went live with lenya.
>
> Schöne Seite!
>
> Im Seitencode steht aber oft noch die folgende directory-Struktur:
>
> href="/lenya/unizh/authoring/.."

Actually I fixed this quite some time ago, but it seems they didn't deploy
the new release yet.

  Josias

Posted by Martin Lüthi <lu...@gi.alaska.edu>.
Hoi Gregor

Re: [maybe OT] how many time to be proficient in Lenya?

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Renaud Richardet wrote:
> Same problem here, too. I'm missing an overview of Lenya and the
> default publication.
>
> I've put what I've understood so far in
> http://wiki.apache.org/lenya/InsideLenyaPublication. You are very
> welcome to add / correct there.
>

>>And yeah, Jon L. 's articles have been a lot of hlp.
>
> Yes, thanks Jon

note that those articles are now on the site:

http://lenya.apache.org/1_2_x/tutorial/

it would probably be good to collect a list of articles that need to be
written..

Re: [maybe OT] how many time to be proficient in Lenya?

Posted by Renaud Richardet <re...@gmail.com>.
Same problem here, too. I'm missing an overview of Lenya and the
default publication.

I've put what I've understood so far in
http://wiki.apache.org/lenya/InsideLenyaPublication. You are very
welcome to add / correct there.

> And yeah, Jon L. 's articles have been a lot of hlp.
Yes, thanks Jon

Renaud

Re: [maybe OT] how many time to be proficient in Lenya?

Posted by Amna & Kiran <bo...@yahoo.com>.

Hi
Same problem here.
We wish to know how to make a pub from scratch or to learn how to import
content into lenya.
And yeah, Jon L. 's articles have been a lot of hlp.

Amna and Kiran.

RE: [maybe OT] how many time to be proficient in Lenya?

Posted by "Todd H. Siegel" <ts...@globetel.net>.
I'll contribute my opinion as someone who just started looking at Lenya
yesterday.

It's obviously important to understand Cocoon in order to understand Lenya.
In the beginning it is sometimes hard to delineate Lenya concepts and Cocoon
concepts, but it becoming clearer.  Also, having to consult two sets of
documentation makes learning Lenya that much harder.

Jonathan, I have read your articles.  Yes, they are helpful.  The comments
after the articles are also helpful.

What I would personally find helpful is a step-by-step doc that explains how
to build a publication from scratch.  Copying the default pub and tinkering
with is good for getting up and running quickly, but I think building a pub
from nothing would help users to have a very deep understanding of Lenya in
a relatively short period.  If I continue to evaluate and eventually use
Lenya maybe that can be my contribution.

Also, I think that descriptive comments in the config files (xmaps and such)
of the default pub is a very cheap and easy way to provide documenation.

It is easy to see the power of Lenya.  Now the trick is now to learn to
harness it.

Todd

Posted by Jonathan Linczak <li...@hiram.edu>.

Posted by "Mike M." <le...@mordent.com>.
Jonathan Linczak <linczakjw <at> hiram.edu> writes:

> Mike, do any of the documents on my site help at all?  The archive of
> articles (the ones listed as Part 1, Part 2, etc.) is found here:
> http://redarrow.textdrive.com/archives
>
> I'm curious whether articles like this are more of what you are looking
> for or if they too lack the overall ideas that you were alluding to.

Your articles helped a lot.  Unfortunately, some of them came out too late for
me :D.  I hope your articles will become part of the lenya documentation in some
way.

-Mike

Re: [maybe OT] how many time to be proficient in Lenya?

Posted by Jonathan Linczak <li...@hiram.edu>.

Posted by "Mike M." <le...@mordent.com>.

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Mike M." <le...@mordent.com>.