Posted to user@jspwiki.apache.org by Rolf Schumacher <ro...@august.de> on 2010/03/16 02:32:33 UTC

problems with apt-get installed tomcat and jspwiki

Dear JSPWiki Expert,

with a new Debian system I firstly tried to install tomcat by "apt-get
install tomcat6".

Than I "jar -xf JSPWiki.jar" to webapps/jspw. It's 2.8.3.
Edited jspwiki.properties, let the wiki files reside in /home/rsc/jspw
(see http://pastebin.ca/1841933).
Extracted the core pages to that directory, gave the directory itself a
777 access code, all the files in there 666.
Restarted Tomcat and got this errors in catalina.out:

http://pastebin.ca/1841932

Of course, I do not understand that messages.

You know what's going on here?

Rolf

Re: problems with apt-get installed tomcat and jspwiki

Posted by Rolf Schumacher <ma...@august.de>.
I'll do like you would, Hassan - after a while. Like to find out the
intention of the package maintainer. May be it's a good one. Can not be
that hard (I believe).

Rolf

Posted by Hassan Schroeder <ha...@webtuitive.com>.
Rolf Schumacher wrote:

> While this seems to be nice security feature I'd like to know how this
> is achieved in tomcat6. Also I like to know how one can switch that
> rigid security off.
>
> May be I should ask on tomcat list?

You can, but if you're using a distro-repackaged Tomcat you'll most
likely be told to ask your distro's maintainers, because what's now
on your system bears little resemblance to a standard Tomcat install.

Also, aside from the configuration butchery, some distros set up a
security manager by default, which is probably what's causing your
problems.

If it were me, I'd immediately uninstall that "Tomcat" and install
a real one. Otherwise, look at your startup script options.

FWIW,
webtuitive design ===  (+1) 408-621-3445   === http://webtuitive.com
twitter: @hassan
                           dream.  code.

Re: problems with apt-get installed tomcat and jspwiki

Posted by Rolf Schumacher <ma...@august.de>.
I got it working but do not know why it didn't work in the first place:

If I substitute the home for pages from "/home/rsc/jspw" to
"webapps/jspw/pages" and copy all the pages over JSPWiki works as usual.

Below tomcat6/conf (linked to /etc/tomcat6 on Debian) there is a file
"context.xml". I changed the first line to <Context
allowLinking="true">. However, this does not let me define a pages
folder that is not physically located below /var/lib/tomcat6. Neither by
linking from /var/lib/tomcat6/webapps/jspw/pages to /home/rsc/jspw nor
by specifying /home/rsc/jspw directly in jspwiki.properties.

While this seems to be nice security feature I'd like to know how this
is achieved in tomcat6. Also I like to know how one can switch that
rigid security off. allowLinking="true" doesn't help, at least not alone.

Posted by Florian Holeczek <fl...@holeczek.de>.
Hi Rolf,

are the directory webapps/jspw and its contents readable by the Tomcat server process?

Regards
 Florian