Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Darcy Benoit <da...@acadiau.ca> on 2005/05/21 17:40:26 UTC

Re: Thoughts on the to-do list

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 15:59:19 -0400, Kathey Marsden
<km...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Darcy Benoit wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 21:36:08 -0800, Kathey Marsden
>> <km...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>
>>> In reexamining the to-do list I think we should consider  identifying
>>> some low hanging fruit or mark projects as beginner, intermediate and
>>> advanced.[snip]
>>
>> Kathey,
>>     I must say that I really like this idea. I've been following the
>> Derby group since the fall, and I have been trying to find the time to
>> get involve but have been unable to find a good starting point.
>> [snip]
>>
>> darcy
>>

> I am so glad to hear back on this.    Since you are the first to
> respond.   I can customize the first set of getting started projects
> that  fit the interests of you and your students.   I'll post them here
> and then hope that someone with web skills and access will pretty them
> up for the website.

Kathey,
	Sorry for taking so long to get back to you on this. Things have been
hectic for a while, but have just managed to calm themselves down enough
for me to get back to this topic.

> Questions
>     Are you and your students interested in projects in network server,
> embedded derby or both?

In this case both. We will be using Derby both ways.

>     Could you explain a little what you mean by autonomic features and
> maybe give an example?

Most of my work revolves around the automatic diagnosis of performance
problems in DB2. Others that I have worked with did things like work out
algorithms to automatically resize the buffer pools for OLTP workloads. My
area was less of working out an automated tuning algorithm and more of
working on how to determine which database resource needed to be adjusted
in order to fix the tuning problem. I am hoping that I might be able to
apply some of that knowledge to Derby.

Presently, I want my students to be working on just about anything that
will improve the performance of Derby. It would be a bonus for my research
area if this performance improvement was autonomic (something resource
that can automatically adjust itself depending on the performance of the
system).

I am using Derby in several projects at the moment. The first student is
using Derby as an embedded database in a grid project to survey the size
of the web. The second student is doing a general overview of Derby - the
structure of the code, where the interesting stuff is happening, how to
get involved in the community, how to do some of the more simple patches,
etc. He's been posting on the group every once in a while and will
hopefully do some bug fixes over the summer. I have a third student who is
looking at automated checkpointing. A fourth student is considering
working on the in-memory database stuff. And a fifth student is working on
indexing at the moment.

Anyway, sorry for taking so long to reply. I know that stuff has been done
on this already, and I like it. It makes getting my students involved much
easier. :)

darcy

--
Dr. Darcy Benoit
http://cs.acadiau.ca/~dbenoit/

Re: Thoughts on the to-do list

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
components. But you can specify multiple components for a given issue;
for example, "Network Server" and "Performance".

  -jean

Re: Thoughts on the to-do list

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.

Re: Thoughts on the to-do list

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.

Re: Thoughts on the to-do list

Posted by Sunitha Kambhampati <ks...@gmail.com>.

>    o Query Jira for existing performance bugs.

There are performance related jira entries but i think they have been
logged as bugs /improvement.  In Jira,  the list of possible values for
IssueType does not have performance. Should/can we add it ?

Thanks,
Sunitha.

Re: Thoughts on the to-do list

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.
Kathey Marsden wrote:
>     o Some sort of automatic connection  thread management for Network
> Server.
>         Currently for network server the Connection Threads are created
> on demand and recycled,
>         but never reclaimed if the load is low.

How about an abstraction for thread management in general so that if
Derby is run inside an app server the app server can control the
resources available to the database?

Something to consider is the proposal for JSR-237 (Work Manager).

--
Jeremy

Re: Thoughts on the to-do list

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.
Darcy Benoit wrote:

> Presently, I want my students to be working on just about anything
> that  will improve the performance of Derby. It would be a bonus for
> my research  area if this performance improvement was autonomic
> (something resource  that can automatically adjust itself depending on
> the performance of the  system).

To keep Derby zero admin I think there is a need for a general mechanism
to perform this kind of automatic admin function.  Here are a couple of
specific examples that I know of.
    o Some sort of automatic connection  thread management for Network
Server.
        Currently for network server the Connection Threads are created
on demand and recycled,
        but never reclaimed if the load is low.

    o A zero administration implementation of  DERBY-269 to update
cardinality statistics would be very helpful.

In the general performance area.

    o Query Jira for existing performance bugs.
    o Profile  Network Server and the client  to identify areas for
improvement.
    o Research optimizer improvements.
       We get requests for optimizer directives, but for a zero admin
database, we have to ask why.
        Ideally the optimizer always knows best #:)

>  The second student is doing a general overview of Derby - the
> structure of the code, where the interesting stuff is happening, how
> to  get involved in the community, how to do some of the more simple
> patches,  etc. He's been posting on the group every once in a while
> and will  hopefully do some bug fixes over the summer.

Can this student pick up and prioritize Derby 257 (Format Contributing
to Derby, Tips and Tasks To Get You Started Document for the website)
and link it in to the to-do list?

Thanks

Kathey