Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Giles Sirett <gi...@shapeblue.com> on 2021/02/16 09:29:41 UTC

Goggle Summer of Code 2021

Hi all

It would be great if the CloudStack project were able to get a few Google Summer of Code  [1] students this year to work on projects within our community. We've had a number of previous GSoC students (examples at [2] ), who have worked on innovative features/ projects within cloudstack and have then gone on to become significant contributors to Cloudstack .

In order to be able to attract students to work on Cloudstack, we need 2 things:

  1.  A number of candidate projects for students to work on. Students browse all GSoC the candidate projects and choose one that interests them- effectively every organisation is competing for the students interest.  These projects therefore need to be reasonably interesting looking projects to attract potential students. The students spend approximately 9 weeks coding, so the projects need to be appropriately scaled
  2.  Somebody prepared to mentor the student throughout the duration of the project (usually the person who suggests the project)

The student application period starts 29 March [3]
The ASF  has registered itself as a mentor  organisation with Google , allowing individual Apache projects to list candidate projects  for students to work on. A wiki page [4]  has been created at the ASF level to allow ASF projects to  list their ideas for students

I'm happy to coordinate this from a Cloudstack perspective.
If others are happy with this approach, then I ask for two things at this stage:

  1.  Could people suggest appropriate projects. This could be a piece of integration that you've always considered and not got around to or could be an improvement that you've always wanted to do. If people can reply to this thread with ANY ideas, it would be a good start (irrespective of whether you wish to be a mentor or not)
  2.  At the same time, could people say whether they'd be prepared to be a student mentor or not

[1] https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/

[2]
https://blog.netapp.com/blogs/mentoring-with-google-summer-of-code-and-lessons-in-cloudstack/
https://dzone.com/articles/cloudstack-google-summer-code
https://opensource.googleblog.com/2014/07/gsoc-students-create-google-compute.html

[3]https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/how-it-works/#timeline

[4] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/COMDEV/GSoC+2021+Ideas+list

Kind regards
Giles

giles.sirett@shapeblue.com
www.shapeblue.com
@shapeblue

Re: Goggle Summer of Code 2021

Posted by Sven Vogel <S....@ewerk.com>.
Maybe I am wrong but I think it’s a better way and make it more easier to use the storage interface in Kubernetes but make it configurable over CS. I don’t see the pro to integrate this over CS because it needs many maintenance over the time if we know that things can change.

I think a better way is to make the master and worker images more configurable so that different storage plugins can use the CSI interface from Kubernetes. If that do everyone can build his own image and make the Kubernetes rollout over it.

__

Sven Vogel
Senior Manager Research and Development - Cloud and Infrastructure

EWERK DIGITAL GmbH
Brühl 24, D-04109 Leipzig
P +49 341 42649 - 99
F +49 341 42649 - 98
S.Vogel@ewerk.com
www.ewerk.com

Geschäftsführer:
Dr. Erik Wende, Hendrik Schubert, Tassilo Möschke
Registergericht: Leipzig HRB 9065

Support:
+49 341 42649 555

Zertifiziert nach:
ISO/IEC 27001:2013
DIN EN ISO 9001:2015
DIN ISO/IEC 20000-1:2018

ISAE 3402 Typ II Assessed

EWERK-Blog<https://blog.ewerk.com/> | LinkedIn<https://www.linkedin.com/company/ewerk-group> | Xing<https://www.xing.com/company/ewerk> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/EWERK_Group> | Facebook<https://de-de.facebook.com/EWERK.IT/>

Auskünfte und Angebote per Mail sind freibleibend und unverbindlich.

Disclaimer Privacy:
Der Inhalt dieser E-Mail (einschließlich etwaiger beigefügter Dateien) ist vertraulich und nur für den Empfänger bestimmt. Sollten Sie nicht der bestimmungsgemäße Empfänger sein, ist Ihnen jegliche Offenlegung, Vervielfältigung, Weitergabe oder Nutzung des Inhalts untersagt. Bitte informieren Sie in diesem Fall unverzüglich den Absender und löschen Sie die E-Mail (einschließlich etwaiger beigefügter Dateien) von Ihrem System. Vielen Dank.

The contents of this e-mail (including any attachments) are confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of its contents is strictly prohibited, and you should please notify the sender immediately and then delete it (including any attachments) from your system. Thank you.

________________________________
Posted by Wei ZHOU <us...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sven Vogel <sv...@apache.org>.
Hi Wei,

wrote:

> [...]
> > you wish to be a mentor or not)
> >   2.  At the same time, could people say whether they'd be
prepared to be
> > a student mentor or not
> >

> > [1] https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/
> >

> > [2]

https://blog.netapp.com/blogs/mentoring-with-google-summer-of-code-and-lessons-in-cloudstack/
> > https://dzone.com/articles/cloudstack-google-summer-code

https://opensource.googleblog.com/2014/07/gsoc-students-create-google-compute.html

> > [3]https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/how-it-works/#timeline
> >
> > [4]

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/COMDEV/GSoC+2021+Ideas+list

> > Kind regards
> > Giles
> >

> > giles.sirett@shapeblue.com
> > www.shapeblue.com [1]
> > 3 London Bridge Street,  3rd floor, News Building, London  SE1

Links:
------
[1] http://www.shapeblue.com

Re: Goggle Summer of Code 2021

Posted by Wei ZHOU <us...@gmail.com>.
Hi Alireza,
Good. As I understand, it is also block storage like Amazon EBS.

-Wei

Posted by Alireza Eskandari <as...@gmail.com>.
Yes!

Posted by Alireza Eskandari <as...@gmail.com>.
Yes!

Posted by Wei ZHOU <us...@gmail.com>.
Hi Alireza,

Posted by Alireza Eskandari <as...@gmail.com>.
Hi Wei

Posted by Alireza Eskandari <as...@gmail.com>.
So based on your message those storages should be available to containers
on some kind of protocols over network, NFS for instance.
I thought that we can attach a virtual disk to the VM that hosts the pod,
and then directly attach it to the pod. In case of pod migration, we can
detach the disk and attach it to another VM.

Posted by Alireza Eskandari <as...@gmail.com>.
Hi Wei

Posted by Wei ZHOU <us...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Alireza.

Posted by Wei ZHOU <us...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alireza Eskandari <as...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by David Jumani <Da...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi,

I'd like to propose the idea of allowing the user to set multiple SSH keys for a VM rather than just a single one via the API.
It would be simple enough to complete within the timeframe for someone new to the project as well as be a great addition to ACS

Thanks,
David
________________________________

David.Jumani@shapeblue.com

Posted by Nicolas Vazquez <Ni...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Daan,

I'm happy to volunteer as a mentor for #4834

Regards,

Nicolas Vazquez

________________________________

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
People,

--
Daan

Re: Goggle Summer of Code 2021

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
People,

--
Daan

Re: Goggle Summer of Code 2021

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.

--
Daan

Re: Goggle Summer of Code 2021

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.

--
Daan

Re: Goggle Summer of Code 2021

Posted by David Jumani <Da...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Boris,

+1 on the idea and I'm happy to co-mentor wrt the coding part
________________________________
I’d like to propose some improvements in the UI around user experience. I think it’ll be great if users can navigate around just using keyboards, meaning go to different pages, confirm dialogues and submit forms without the use of mouse.

Here’s a detailed description of the feature: https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/issues/4798

As far as mentorship, I’m happy to take part on the ideas/requirements side of the feature, but we’ll need a volunteer for the coding part.

Thanks,
Bobby.

From: Giles Sirett <gi...@shapeblue.com>
Date: Tuesday, 16 February 2021, 11:30
To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org <de...@cloudstack.apache.org>
Cc: users@cloudstack.apache.org <us...@cloudstack.apache.org>, private@cloudstack.apache.org <pr...@cloudstack.apache.org>

boris.stoyanov@shapeblue.com

Posted by David Jumani <Da...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Boris,

Posted by Harikrishna Patnala <Ha...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi guys,

I've an idea around mapping existing configuration parameters to the APIs when they are used during some operation, instead of looking for configuration parameters using string search or documentation. This helps in debugging or tuning the API operation easily w.r.t. configuration parameters.
I've created a ticket here https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/issues/4825.
[https://avatars.githubusercontent.com/u/47359?s=400&v=4]<https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/issues/4825>
GSoC 2021 Idea: Configuration parameters and APIs mappings · Issue #4825 · apache/cloudstack<https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/issues/4825>
Background There are around ~672 configuration parameters in CloudStack which is a huge list and the way admins got used to look for configuration parameters is either by string search or documenta...
github.com
I'm happy to be a mentor for this improvement. Please let me know your feedback.

Thanks,
Harikrishna
________________________________

Harikrishna.Patnala@shapeblue.com
www.shapeblue.com

Posted by Pearl d'Silva <pe...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi All,

I'd like to propose an idea around extending the behaviour of Persistent Networks in CloudStack. The idea is to enable synchronization of network devices across newly added hosts. Further details can be found at: https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/issues/4814

Thanks,
Pearl Dsilva

pearl.dsilva@shapeblue.com

Posted by Suresh Anaparti <Su...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi,

I would like to propose the idea of Cloning a Virtual Machine (with all the data disks) – using a new VM cmd (cloneVirtualMachine API) to create a copy of the VM. This will ease creating a copy of the VM without following series of API cmds to achieve that in CloudStack. Some hypervisors (Eg. VMware) already supports clone VM operation, and CloudStack can leverage that. This will be a good addition to the VM operations supported in CloudStack. More details here: https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/issues/4818

Regards,

Suresh

Suresh.Anaparti@shapeblue.com