Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "John J. Franey" <jf...@inventa.com> on 2006/08/04 15:18:16 UTC

debugging 'Malformed network data' error

How can I  debug 'Malformed network data' error?  I tried to run
svnserve with -d --foreground but didn't get any output to terminal.

Or, has anyone encountered the following and resolved it, or maybe you
know what I can look into to find out what is going on?

When I copy or commit to one of my repositories I get this error, with
no elaboration.  The other repository does not have this problem.   For
this email, I'll call the two repositories 'happy' and 'sad'.

I've set up happy and sad to have the same file access permissions.
I've used a script to make it so, and I've eyeballed the results, but if
you

happy was created as a brand new repository.  sad was created from a cvs
repository using cvs2svn 1.3.1.

I'm using protocols 'svn' and 'svn+ssh'.  The result is the same in
both: success with happy, failure with sad.

I can login to subversion server and successfully use the 'file'
protocol to svn copy or commit in the 'sad' repository.  The repository
is owned by 'svn:svn' and I login as 'jfraney:users'.   I was sure to
follow the recommendation in the section: "Supporting Multiple
Repository Access Methods" in the svnbook.  A wrapper script sets
ulimit.   The wrapper also changes the calling user's effective group to
svn.

I can successfully run checkout and list operations (read-only) on the
'sad' repository.

The repositories share the passwd file.  The have identical
svnserve.conf files.

I'm using linux on client and server side. Both client and server are
running svn --version:  svn, version 1.2.3 (r15833)

Regards,
John