Posted to dev@tamaya.apache.org by "Oliver B. Fischer" <o....@swe-blog.net> on 2014/11/29 00:38:28 UTC

Thoughts on type conversion support

Hi,

before touching the design document I would like to share some thoughts
on our type conversion support.

I summary I would like add the following rules to the design document:

1. If the target data type is java.lang.String no conversion is needed.
2. If the target data type is not java.lang.String and if the target
data type provides a static T valueOf(String) method than this method
will be used as factory method for the target value.
3. If the target data type is not java.lang.String and if the target
data type provides a ctor with a single String parameter this ctor will
be used to create a instance of the target data type.
4. In case there is a registered PropertyAdapter implementation for the
required target datatype this implementation will have precedence.

wdyt?

Oliver

--
N Oliver B. Fischer
A Schönhauser Allee 64, 10437 Berlin, Deutschland/Germany

Re: Thoughts on type conversion support

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Can makes sense, in particular a cdi event to collect adapters or for a
full standalone app for instance ;)

Posted by Anatole Tresch <at...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Anatole Tresch <at...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Oliver B. Fischer" <o....@swe-blog.net>.
@John I think it is quite convenient to reuse these mechanisms. Actually
I think nowadays we should support the automatic detection of resources
(how ever we call them). This means more work and even more tests for us
but our users will love it. I like the way of the FasterXML/jackson [1]:
Add it to the classpath and we will use it.

Posted by Anatole Tresch <at...@gmail.com>.
Hi John

I am not sure if I get your point:

1. PropertyAdapter actually is a functional interface, so you can do things
like *PropertyAdapters.register(MyClass.class, (s) -> (MyClass.create(s););*
2. The problem is that the names of the interfaces in java.util.Function
often do not match really or even conflict (e.g. when you implement
multiple Suppliers). So in some cases you still define your own functional
interfaces as this is the case here.

WDYT?

--
*Anatole Tresch*
Java Engineer & Architect, JSR Spec Lead

*Switzerland, Europe Zurich, GMT+1*
*Twitter:  @atsticks*
*Blogs: **http://javaremarkables.blogspot.ch/
<http://javaremarkables.blogspot.ch/>*

*Google: atsticksMobile  +41-76 344 62 79*

Re: Thoughts on type conversion support

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Oliver B. Fischer" <o....@swe-blog.net>.
ok!