Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> on 2020/03/18 15:35:13 UTC

Multi-version support in bundles installer - experimental?

Hi,

There was a discussion about this in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-9172

For now I have marked this feature as being experimental at
https://sling.apache.org/documentation/bundles/osgi-installer.html#multi-version-support

Carsten rightly notes that if we consider it experimental we might
want to rename to service property that activates it to

  sling.installer.experimental.multiversion=true

Is anyone opposed to adding that "experimental" qualifier in the property name?

This helps avoid people using it without being aware of its status.

-Bertrand

Re: Multi-version support in bundles installer - experimental?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 7:53 AM Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org> wrote:

> It seems we have a slight preference for experimental, I'll change the
> prop name..

Thank you!

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
It seems we have a slight preference for experimental, I'll change the
prop name

Regards
Carsten

On 19.03.2020 08:46, Dominik Süß wrote:
> I don't mind - yet just to clarify: This feature doesn't add scenarios that
> couldn't arise before as clarified in the docs.
> Apache Felix supports (and since quite a long time supported) having
> multiple versions of bundles installed - we just didn't provide install
> options (beyond feature launcher or custom code) that would install it that
> way.
> The "new" behavior is eliminating a lot of the upgrade and state handling
> magic we had before that did break before and could corrupt installer
> states quite easily.
>
> The most prominent always repeated case of concurrent packages did always
> exist as the BSN doesn't have anything to do with the packages that are
> exported - different versions of bundles may export different packages and
> different bundles may export the same packages. Therefore this feature
> doesn't open a new problem space yet it makes it more likely to hit you
> early in the face were those issues were often missed in first place in the
> past and led to unexpected behavior.
>
> Cheers
> Dominik
>
> On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 9:12 PM Georg Henzler <sl...@ghenzler.de> wrote:
>
>> +1 for adding „experimental“ to the property name
>>
>> (I‘m both excited about future possibilities and worried about
>> consequences when lightheartedly being turning on)
>>
>> -Georg
>>

>>> On 18. Mar 2020, at 16:35, Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> There was a discussion about this in
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-9172
>>>
>>> For now I have marked this feature as being experimental at
>>>
>> https://sling.apache.org/documentation/bundles/osgi-installer.html#multi-version-support
>>>
>>> Carsten rightly notes that if we consider it experimental we might
>>> want to rename to service property that activates it to
>>>
>>>   sling.installer.experimental.multiversion=true
>>>
>>> Is anyone opposed to adding that "experimental" qualifier in the
>> property name?
>>>
>>> This helps avoid people using it without being aware of its status.
>>>
>>> -Bertrand

Carsten Ziegeler
Adobe Research Switzerland
cziegeler@apache.org

Re: Multi-version support in bundles installer - experimental?

Posted by Dominik Süß <do...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Georg Henzler <sl...@ghenzler.de>.