Posted to dev@iotdb.apache.org by Dawei Liu <at...@163.com> on 2020/04/11 14:38:11 UTC

How about adding an online experience

Hi,

When I am browsing the Redis website recently, i found an interesting feature [1] that allows developers to quickly experience product features without having to learn complex compilation, installation, and configuration.

So I'm thinking about whether we have necessary to launch such a function, let the user to read a lot of our user documentation and implementation of interactive experience.

Do you have any better ideas?

[1] http://try.redis.io/

Thanks
---
Dawei Liu

Re: How about adding an online experience

Posted by Xiangdong Huang <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dawei,

Thanks for more detailed discussion.

I am confused about your 1 and 2 question.

For 3, I think iotdb.apache.org/online  or iotdb.apache.org/try are fine
enough. If so, we do not apply new domain from the INFRA.

For 4, be relax. We HAD an VM provided by apache INFRA. All committers can
access it. For more information, read [1].

Best,
-----------------------------------
Xiangdong Huang
School of Software, Tsinghua University

 黄向东
清华大学 软件学院

Dawei Liu <at...@163.com> 于2020年4月12日周日 下午2:39写道:

Posted by Xiangdong Huang <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Xin Wang <da...@gmail.com>.
Good idea. It would be great for new users. Now, we can provide readonly DB
service for the first step.

- Xin

Dawei Liu <at...@163.com> 于2020年4月12日周日 下午2:07写道:

> Hi,
>

> Not supporting write may affect the user's experience,
>

> However, if the write function is open, I do not know whether the user
> will illegally write a large amount of data, resulting in a waste of
> resources.
>

> Do you have a good suggestions?
>

> Thanks
> ---
> Dawei Liu
>

> On 04/12/2020 14:01,Xiangdong Huang<sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> IoTDB supports ReadOnly mode now.
>
> However, is it really fine that the online demo does not support write
> data?
> (tryRedis supports write)
>
> Best,
> -----------------------------------
> Xiangdong Huang
> School of Software, Tsinghua University
>
> 黄向东
> 清华大学 软件学院
>

> Dawei Liu <at...@163.com> 于2020年4月12日周日 下午1:58写道:
>
> Hi,
>

> Yes, maybe we can implement a simple interface in the server model that
> can execute all the queries and return the results
>

> Thanks
> ---
> Dawei Liu
>

> On 04/12/2020 11:24,Jialin Qiao<qj...@mails.tsinghua.edu.cn> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Good idea. Maybe we could provide a read-only IoTDB.

> Jialin Qiao
> School of Software, Tsinghua University
>
> 乔嘉林
> 清华大学 软件学院

Xin

Re: How about adding an online experience

Posted by Xiangdong Huang <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Yes, we may have to limit that...

1. We write some data initially to let users call "select". Users can not
write data into the related storage group. (IoTDB supports that now)
2. We grant users to write data into some Storage Groups, but with space
limitation by:
(a) I think to build such a demo, implementing a web application is
unavoidable. Maybe we can limit the writes in the web application. e.g., a
session can call "insert into" command 100 times per day.
(b) Another way is for each session, open a docker container. If there is
no resource, the IoTDB will become readonly automatically. (not sure
whether iotdb and docker can support that)

Best,

Posted by Xiangdong Huang <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Jialin Qiao <qj...@mails.tsinghua.edu.cn>.