Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Tom Browder <to...@gmail.com> on 2008/10/01 13:18:42 UTC

Fop Warnings

Just yesterday I got fop 0.95 installed to try tp make a pdf version
of the GnuCash (www.gnucash.org) guide, and the resukts look great for
the first time.  Obviously some tinkering will need to be done, but
that is to be expected for a newbie to docbook and fop.

I got a slew of warnings, most self-explanatory.

My question is:

Is there a way to get fop to point to the source of the warnings?

I've tried the -d (debug) option and that didn't help.

Thanks.

-Tom

RE: Fop Warnings

Posted by John Brown <jo...@hotmail.com>.
Vincent Hennebert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just a little precision, for the sake of correctness.
>
> John Brown wrote:
>> Tom Browder wrote:
>

>> One more thing: the XSL-FO produced by FOP does not contain any
>> new line characters,
>
> Strictly speaking it’s not FOP that produces the XSL-FO, it’s the XSLT
> processor configured in your Java installation, that is called by FOP.
> You can configure another XSLT processor, or even use a non-Java one
> (e.g., xsltproc) in a prior step. For the rest you’re definitely right.

You're right, of course. As a matter of fact, I use xsltproc.

Re: Fop Warnings

Posted by Vincent Hennebert <vh...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

John Brown wrote:
> Tom Browder wrote:
<snip/>

> One more thing: the XSL-FO produced by FOP does not contain any
> new line characters,

Strictly speaking it’s not FOP that produces the XSL-FO, it’s the XSLT
processor configured in your Java installation, that is called by FOP.
You can configure another XSLT processor, or even use a non-Java one
(e.g., xsltproc) in a prior step. For the rest you’re definitely right.

> so FOP will tell you that the error is on line 1 at
> position 7458 o something similar. You can format the XSL-FO using
> 'xmllint --format' before running FOP. xmllint is part of the libxml2
> project.

Vincent

Re: Fop Warnings

Posted by Andreas Delmelle <an...@telenet.be>.
On Oct 2, 2008, at 03:28, John Brown wrote:

> <snip />
> One more thing: the XSL-FO produced by FOP does not contain any
> new line characters, so FOP will tell you that the error is on line
> 1 at
> position 7458 o something similar. You can format the XSL-FO using
> 'xmllint --format' before running FOP. xmllint is part of the libxml2
> project.

FWIW: You could also eliminate the need to use another tool to do the
indenting, and obtain a similar effect by adding

<xsl:output ... indent="yes" />

to the main stylesheet. With Saxon you'll get indented XML as a
result by default (3 spaces added for each level). The number of
spaces can be controlled via the saxon:indent-spaces extension
attribute (on xsl:output)
Xalan offers xalan:indent-amount for control the amount of spaces to
add for each level, which defaults to zero, so only adds linefeeds
unless the extension attribute indicates otherwise.

Andreas

Re: Fop Warnings

Posted by Tom Browder <to...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 8:28 PM, John Brown <jo...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> One more thing: the XSL-FO produced by FOP does not contain any
> new line characters, so FOP will tell you that the error is on line 1 at
> position 7458 o something similar. You can format the XSL-FO using
> 'xmllint --format' before running FOP. xmllint is part of the libxml2
> project.

Thanks for the additional info, John, good idea.

-Tom

RE: Fop Warnings

Posted by John Brown <jo...@hotmail.com>.

Re: Fop Warnings

Posted by Tom Browder <to...@gmail.com>.

Re: Fop Warnings

Posted by Vincent Hennebert <vh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tom,

Tom Browder wrote:
> Just yesterday I got fop 0.95 installed to try tp make a pdf version
> of the GnuCash (www.gnucash.org) guide, and the resukts look great for
> the first time.

That’s good news!

> Obviously some tinkering will need to be done, but
> that is to be expected for a newbie to docbook and fop.
>
> I got a slew of warnings, most self-explanatory.
>
> My question is:
>
> Is there a way to get fop to point to the source of the warnings?

You have to write the XSL-FO produced by the XSLT processor into a file.
FOP will then be able to point you at the line and column numbers where
the errors or warnings come from. Since you’re asking this question
I guess that right now you’re producing the PDF like this:
    fop -xml document.xsl -xsl stylesheet.xsl -pdf document.pdf
For debugging purpose you can proceed in two steps:
    fop -xml document.xsl -xsl sytesheet.xsl -foout document.fo
    (Or directly call your favourite XSLT processor to produce the FO file.)
    fop -fo document.fo -pdf document.pdf

Note that that won’t point you to the DocBook source, unfortunately.
>From the FO file you’ll have to figure out what part of the DocBook
source that corresponds to. Tedious, but I’m not sure there is any
immediate solution to that.

> I've tried the -d (debug) option and that didn't help.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -Tom

HTH,
Vincent