Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> on 2011/03/30 16:21:40 UTC

Renaming EntryAttribute to Attribute ?

Hi guys,

when I initially started to write the EntryAttribute class, I picked
this name to avoid a confusion with the JNDI Attribute class. bck 2
years ago, it was important, because we had a hell lot of JNDI code all
over the shared and server code. Mixing both name would have been a
nightmare, with package expended into the source instead of just having
the imports.

Now that we have been able to get rid of most of the JNDI calls, it
might be a good idea to move the name to use Attribute.

wdyt ?

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: Renaming EntryAttribute to Attribute ?

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 8:13 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On 3/30/11 7:09 PM, Alex Karasulu wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 5:26 PM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot<pa@marcelot.net
>> >wrote:
>>
>>  Hi Emmanuel,
>>>
>>> Makes totally sense to me.
>>>
>>> It seems more obvious than EntryAttribute.
>>>

>>>  Alternative thought: we could also go with LdapEntry which is pretty
>> explicit and commonly used in language.
>>

> And LdapAttribute ?

Yeah sorry that's what I was thinking along the lines of (LdapEntry
containing LdapAttribute objects) but botched expressing myself completely.

Thanks for reading my mind,
Alex

Re: Renaming EntryAttribute to Attribute ?

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 5:26 PM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net>wrote:

> Hi Emmanuel,
>
> Makes totally sense to me.
>
> It seems more obvious than EntryAttribute.

Alternative thought: we could also go with LdapEntry which is pretty
explicit and commonly used in language.

Best,
Alex

Re: Renaming EntryAttribute to Attribute ?

Posted by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net>.
Hi Emmanuel,

Makes totally sense to me.

It seems more obvious than EntryAttribute.

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
On 3/30/11 4:35 PM, Kiran Ayyagari wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 7:51 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny<el...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> when I initially started to write the EntryAttribute class, I picked this
>> name to avoid a confusion with the JNDI Attribute class. bck 2 years ago, it
>> was important, because we had a hell lot of JNDI code all over the shared
>> and server code. Mixing both name would have been a nightmare, with package
>> expended into the source instead of just having the imports.
>>
>> Now that we have been able to get rid of most of the JNDI calls, it might be
>> a good idea to move the name to use Attribute.
>>
>> wdyt ?
> I would say let us keep the existing name, cause
> 1. personally I like the name (for me, its name says that it
> represents the attribute of an ldap Entry)
We don't use any other kind of Attribute...

> 2. we haven't got rid of JNDI completely , some integ tests are
> heavily depend on JNDI
Yes, but there will be no confusion here, because they either use JNDI
completely, or the new API completely.

Posted by Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org>.

--
Kiran Ayyagari

Re: Renaming EntryAttribute to Attribute ?

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 5:21 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Now that we have been able to get rid of most of the JNDI calls, it might
> be a good idea to move the name to use Attribute.
>
> wdyt ?

+1