Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by bq...@bolson.org on 2004/06/02 03:15:38 UTC

manager/deploy DELETED my web app

http://127.0.0.1:8080/manager/reload?path=/cp

returned:

FAIL - Encountered exception java.lang.IllegalStateException: Container
StandardContext[/cp] has not been started

So, I tried:

http://127.0.0.1:8080/manager/deploy?path=/cp

and it replied:

Jun 1, 2004 5:48:36 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase log
INFO: Removing web application at context path /cp
Jun 1, 2004 5:48:36 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostDeployer
install
INFO: Installing web application at context path /cp from URL
jar:file:/Library/Tomcat/work/Catalina/localhost/manager/cp.war!/
OK - Undeployed application at context path /cp
FAIL - Encountered exception java.util.zip.ZipException: No such file or
directory

'deploy' destroying my web app is quite the opposite of what I wanted.
This is a serious user interface bug. I'm quite angry right now because it
blew away my CVS checkout with changes that I hadn't committed.

Checking the docs again it looks like I wanted 'start'. I also see that
'undeploy' has a nice large warning, and 'deploy' has some small
parenthetical comment that it could cause 'undeploy' to happen.

I'm pretty sure that 'deploy' has in the past achieved what I tried to
make it do this time.  Perhaps I misinterpreted events at that time.

I'm angry because I lost a day of work, but I still want Tomcat to be
better because everything else about it is pretty nifty.

Brian Olson
http://bolson.org/