Posted to dev@thrift.apache.org by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com> on 2010/08/14 18:25:15 UTC

sharing knowledge means sharing control

THRIFT-819 to me is a pattern of dialog I'd like
to see improved.  Too often I see issues filed
in Thrift's jira that get turned down by Facebook
folks without any input from non-Facebook committers.
That tends to institutionalize the idea Facebook
retains tight control over all architectural decisions
for this project.

One way to resolve this is for the Facebook employees
to continue to comment on these issues but to ask for
input from other committers before closing the issue.
Another approach is to recognize the pattern and return
to the dev list with some educational posts about the
goals of Thrift and its design.  Those suggestions
are not mutually exclusive.

Re: sharing knowledge means sharing control

Posted by ro...@bufferoverflow.ch.
I closed that issue by my self and I agree with David and Mark's statements.

It's absolutely OK for me, otherwise I would not close that issue and
discuss my position in detail.

The good thing with that issue was:
- fast response on second request
- doubt on feasibility
- good alternative idea

The Bad things with that issue was:
- no real discussion within the community, only two comments (no interest?)
- an additional question via mailing list was required to start the discussion

Personally I really do not care on Thrift's origin. I would like to
use and enhance a mature piece of software driven by community under
the umbrella of Apache. Just as other projects I recommend an accept
for my employer!
- attractive license for commercial use => APACHE, BSD or Beerware;-)
- active community (spread across different companies or individuals)
- well tested and stable
- scalable and portable
- no local patches required
- available via standard distros like Debian

bye the way... I played around with hudson (continuous integration) =>
looks good!

I'm currently configuring hudson ci for Thrift at home, as soon as its
ready to use I tell you and we can set it up at apache infrastructure
if possible!

Regards

roger

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by David Reiss <dr...@facebook.com>.
> Too often I see issues filed
> in Thrift's jira that get turned down by Facebook
> folks without any input from non-Facebook committers.

> One way to resolve this is for the Facebook employees
> to continue to comment on these issues but to ask for
> input from other committers before closing the issue.

Joe, these comments frustrate me because the paint a negative picture of
Mark and myself that is simply inaccurate.  Mark an I both pointed out
specific problems with the approach the submitter was taking and offered
alternative approaches to bypass the problems.  Then the submitter
voluntarily closed his own issue.  In general, I try to avoid closing
issues as invalid and let the submitter do so (as in THRIFT-692) unless
it is something obvious like a missing build dependency.

I think it's implied that any committer (or contributor for that matter)
should feel free to comment on any issue.

--David

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.
> > On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 12:25 PM, Joe  Schaefer
><jo...@yahoo.com>wrote:
> >
> > >  THRIFT-819 to me is a pattern of dialog I'd like
> >  > to see improved.   Too often I see issues filed
> > > in  Thrift's jira that get turned down by  Facebook
> > > folks without  any input from non-Facebook committers.
> > >  That tends to  institutionalize the idea Facebook
> > > retains tight control  over  all architectural decisions
> > > for this project.
> > >
> >  > One  way to resolve this is for the Facebook employees
> > > to  continue to comment  on these issues but to ask for
> > > input from  other committers before  closing the issue.
> > > Another approach  is to recognize the pattern and  return
> > > to the dev list with  some educational posts about the
> > >  goals of Thrift and its  design.  Those suggestions
> > > are not mutually   exclusive.
> > >

> > Isn't "lazy consensus" a core  Apache principle?
> > I  looked at the JIRA, saw that David had already  commented,
> > and I agreed with  his response. Piling on
> > just  to say "I agree with David" seemed like a waste  of time, no?
>
> Not  quite.  First off I'm talking about a pattern,
> not a single issue. And  second off, that issue was
> opened a month ago, which was ample time for  ANY
> interested committer to weigh in prior to David's
> response from  yesterday.  What's happenened here
> is that there are "territories"  within the code that
> people accept (limited) responsibility for, and  there
> needs to be more of a "swarm" effort to break down
> those  walls.  This isn't something Facebook folks
> can assist with other than  to encourage others to
> step up and show some initiative.

Lemme give you an illustration of how an Apache-style community
would've handled THRIFT-819.  First off, someone would've noticed
that a patch had been uploaded and that patch would've been examined
within a day or so.  Then someone would've commented on the patch:
"Thanks for the patch, we're looking it over now.  If you are interested
in a real-time discussion please join us on our IRC channel..."

After some group discussion had happened, or perhaps after someone
researched the patch themselves and drew their own conclusion,
someone would have made a decision (up or down or ask for mods)
about the patch and provided that feedback on the issue.
That process from submission to decision should take 2-3 days
to a week for something like this.  Other folks could then
weigh in with supporting statements or conflicting ones, in
which case the issue should be brought back here for debate.

It should be the Facebook people deploying lazy concensus
whenever design decisions are made, not the other way round.
The other way round is just an expression of apathy or groupthink,
not informed decision-making.

Re: sharing knowledge means sharing control

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 12:25 PM, Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>wrote:

> THRIFT-819 to me is a pattern of dialog I'd like
> to see improved.  Too often I see issues filed
> in Thrift's jira that get turned down by Facebook
> folks without any input from non-Facebook committers.
> That tends to institutionalize the idea Facebook
> retains tight control over all architectural decisions
> for this project.
>
> One way to resolve this is for the Facebook employees
> to continue to comment on these issues but to ask for
> input from other committers before closing the issue.
> Another approach is to recognize the pattern and return
> to the dev list with some educational posts about the
> goals of Thrift and its design.  Those suggestions
> are not mutually exclusive.

Isn't "lazy consensus" a core Apache principle? I looked at the JIRA, saw
that David had already commented, and I agreed with his response. Piling on
just to say "I agree with David" seemed like a waste of time, no?

-Todd

--
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera