Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by ea...@gmx.de on 2004/03/04 22:35:21 UTC

ServerFaces and Tapestry

any comments to Java Server Faces versus Tapestry?

http://java.sun.com/webservices/docs/1.2/tutorial/doc/index.html

Re: ServerFaces and Tapestry

Posted by ea...@gmx.de.
Hm...the thing I dont like about Tapestry is the fact that it is all built
upon this idea.
I dont think I will ever employ any webdesigners as I think I can do that
myself. I am also not going to change the layout once it is finished. If I know
the layout of a window is okay, I never want to touch this class again. If I
want to use a different looking window i would then just replace the class
or a database entry that points to another class. This way I could also in
theory sell my webapplication and sell different layouts in jar files -
therefore all html would be within a class not within an editable template. When it
comes to marketing a new technology these things also need to be considered.

Even if I had lots of money to pay for a webdesigner, I think it is a lot of
more work to split a complete html page layout into hundreds of modules,
e.g. navigation bar, all kinds of windows, etc...than it is to quickly do the
layout of a new module yourself.

If JSF is not in productional use yet, this is a viable argument though!

Posted by Travis Reeder <tr...@ecommstats.com>.

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Mar 4, 2004, at 4:35 PM, easy-to-remember@gmx.de wrote:
> any comments to Java Server Faces versus Tapestry?
>
> http://java.sun.com/webservices/docs/1.2/tutorial/doc/index.html

Sure, I commented it on earlier today:

	http://weblogs.java.net/pub/wlg/1088

(see comments section)

Re: ServerFaces and Tapestry

Posted by Mindbridge <mi...@yahoo.com>.
There have been several messages about that in the past. You can search the
archives for JSF for a complete list. My personal opinion is described here:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.java.tapestry.user/1684

Here is a message by Howard as well:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.java.tapestry.user/225

Despite a few claims to the contrary, I have not seen major improvements
between the version I had reviewed back then and the recent release. I
believe what is stated remains valid.