Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Kanta Jiwnani <ka...@cs.umd.edu> on 2003/07/22 20:03:43 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache on Unix vs Apache on Windows

Hi,

I was looking at bugs in Apache on various platforms. I was surprised
when I found more bugs with Apache on Unix-based platforms as compared
to Windows. I expected the exact opposite. What could be the reason for
this? Is the code very different for these 2 platforms? OR is it because
support for Windows platform is recent and hence less no of bugs? Is
there any documentation that I could look at?

Thanks in advance,
Kanta

Graduate Research Assistant
Experimental Software Engineering Group
Department of Computer Science
University of Maryland, College Park
http://www.cs.umd.edu/~kanta

Re: [users@httpd] Apache on Unix vs Apache on Windows

Posted by Kanta Jiwnani <ka...@cs.umd.edu>.
Joshua,

I agree with you. I also started with the hypothesis that I will find more
flaws in Windows -based Apache. I just got the oppposite result so I
needed help from people who have worked, developed Apache in understanding
this result.

I will take your feedback into account and analyze this again.

Thanks again.
Kanta

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Posted by Kanta Jiwnani <ka...@cs.umd.edu>.
Sure.
I am listing the links for the 3 sources:

1. CVE:
http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvekey.cgi?keyword=apache

2. CERT:
http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/html/search
Type: apache in the box.

3.SECURITYFOCUS:
http://securityfocus.com/bid
Select "Apache Software Foundation" in the vendor field.

There are flaws that are common between these 3 sources. Also, if there is
a flaw in something else (like Oracle Application server which uses
Apache), I do not consider this flaw.

Thanks,
Kanta

Posted by Aman Raheja <am...@netscape.net>.
HI

Posted by Kanta Jiwnani <ka...@cs.umd.edu>.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Posted by Kanta Jiwnani <ka...@cs.umd.edu>.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Posted by Kanta Jiwnani <ka...@cs.umd.edu>.
Hi,

I will surely post my results when I am done with my analysis. I will be
unsubscribing from this list for now. IF anyone has more information for
me, could you please write to me at kanta@cs.umd.edu.

Thanks again,
Kanta

Posted by Jeff Cohen <su...@gej-it.com>.
That's right, this article is still in a fact, I've been tracking sites
running Apache on Linux, Unix, Solaris and Win32, and found that Apache on
Win32 is more reliable, secure and stable compare to the others.

I wonder what you'll bring up in your survey, please email me a link to your
report or even post it as a thread that the apache community will have this
information shared. I think you found a very important and interesting
subject to review.

Thank you and good luck,
Jeff Cohen
Support@GEJ-IT.com