Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Dmitry Pavlov <dp...@gmail.com> on 2018/02/07 14:24:59 UTC

Unit testing of persistence & durable memory

Hi Igniters,

Recently new unit tests suite was added to TC run chain, it is PDS unit
test suite. See
https://ci.ignite.apache.org/viewType.html?buildTypeId=IgniteTests24Java8_IgnitePdsUnitTests
and corresponding suite in code
org.apache.ignite.testsuites.IgnitePdsUnitTestSuite

This suite contain JUnit4 styled unit tests. Such tests never start Ignite
instance, but checks only one aspect/unit behaviour of PDS/Durable
memory/etc.

If it is required. tests may use Mockito to stub unnecessary Ignite context
elements and provide required behaviour. There are no real cluster building
and/or real HDD disk usage, and such tests are quite fast (each <5s to run)
and each test is quite small.

Suite code was recently merged to master with throttling changes. Now it
contains only 9 tests, but I am sure it will became full of tests. Please
feel free to add yours.

Sincerely,
Dmitriy Pavlov

Re: Unit testing of persistence & durable memory

Posted by Dmitry Pavlov <dp...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dmitriy,

This suite is needed for isolated methods tests and classes tests. Because
Ignite became not only in-memory solution, persistence enabled integration
tests were introduced also. These disk-enabled tests and/or tests with a
number of node startup-shutdown may require sufficient time and I/O
resouarces to complete.

In the same time there is a lot of situations needs to be covered by
product, but these situations may be not easy to reproduce in integration
testing. For such case 'PDS Unit tests suite' and first tests were created.

I hope this approach will become popular, especially for checking corner
cases.

Sincerely,
Dmitriy Pavlov

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.