Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by SpindleHill Auctions <em...@spindlehill.com> on 2012/05/14 20:05:24 UTC

FW: OpenOffice on eBay

Hello,

I would like to get further information on how I could sell OpenOffice on
eBay, either via download and/or CDROM. I have been selling on eBay since
2004, and I am looking to increase my inventory and sales. Thank you very
much for your time and consideration.

Thank you,

Michael Gaudiosi

SpindleHill Auctions

email@spindlehill.com

Re: OpenOffice on eBay

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
On 2012-05-18, at 17:00 , Larry Gusaas wrote:

>> OpenOffice has always been sold on eBay and other similar sites. The advantage to the buyer is that she does not have to download the app., can have it around for future reference, may distribute it to those who otherwise cannot get it (yes, she could burn more and I hope she would), and so on.
>
> How does this comment apply to selling downloads of AOO?  Note that the OP said "I would like to get further information on how I could sell OpenOffice on eBay, either via download and/or CDROM"

I misread in my haste to be corrective. It happens, esp. when one is distracted by other things.

Louis

OpenOffice on eBay

Posted by Chery <Ch...@mchsi.com>.
Right On Larry
What a dork... Some people  ;)

On 2012-05-18 1:40 PM  Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:
> On 2012-05-18, at 14:18 , Chery wrote:
>
>> >  It is free!          Who would buy it from you?
>> >
> OpenOffice has always been sold on eBay and other similar sites. The
advantage to the buyer is that she does not have to download the app., can
have it around for future reference, may distribute it to those who
otherwise cannot get it (yes, she could burn more and I hope she would), and
so on.

How does this comment apply to selling downloads of AOO?  Note that the OP
said "I would like to get further information on how I could sell OpenOffice
on eBay, either via download and/or CDROM"

Anyone selling OpenOffice for download is a scumbag. I also would not trust
a download from anywhere but the official AOO download page.

--
_________________________________

Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
Website: http://larry-gusaas.com
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind
theirs." - Edgard Varese

Re: OpenOffice on eBay

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
Larry,

You are entitled to your opinion but please keep it civil.

Our license permits the OP from conducting business the way they want to as
long as they respect our trademarks. They are seeking to do that.

Ross

Re: OpenOffice on eBay

Posted by Larry Gusaas <la...@gmail.com>.

Re: OpenOffice on eBay

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
On 2012-05-18, at 14:18 , Chery wrote:

> It is free!          Who would buy it from you?

OpenOffice has always been sold on eBay and other similar sites. The advantage to the buyer is that she does not have to download the app., can have it around for future reference, may distribute it to those who otherwise cannot get it (yes, she could burn more and I hope she would), and so on. As well, quite often CDROMs and DVDs contain so-called value-adds. Could be set of (free) extensions or it could be templates, utilities, etc. It actually makes a difference in the minds of many, too, to see the physical object. This is especially so at conferences, where you want handouts, and elsewhere you just want people to try it out *now*.

And, lest we not forget the nature of our own circumstances, it actually costs *more* to download a large binary such as AOO than to buy a CDROM containing it (in your language, no less)! Yep: in many if not most parts of the world, bandwidth is costly and charged by the minute or byte or both.

The real point of "free" is the user's ability to work unencumbered with the binaries and source: to become not just another commodity but a producer in a community.

-louis

RE: OpenOffice on eBay

Re: FW: OpenOffice on eBay

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 2:05 PM, SpindleHill Auctions
<em...@spindlehill.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I would like to get further information on how I could sell OpenOffice on
> eBay, either via download and/or CDROM. I have been selling on eBay since
> 2004, and I am looking to increase my inventory and sales. Thank you very
> much for your time and consideration.

This question comes up every few weeks.  This is the response I gave
the last time:

http://markmail.org/message/g6viii4ito6hhwim

So the open source license certainly allows someone to sell copies of
Apache OpenOffice.   But you do need to be careful not to run into
trademark issues.  This page covers some of the issues:
http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/   In general, you'll want to
avoid anything that would suggest to the consumer that you are
affiliated with, or represent the Apache Software Foundation or the
Apache OpenOffice project.

Since OpenOffice is already available for download free, you might
have better luck with CD-ROM distribution.

In either case, I'd invite you to sign up for our announcements
mailing list, so you hear about new releases as they are made. You can
sign up by sending an email to:   ooo-announce@incubator.apache.org

You can access all of the downloads here:
http://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html

-Rob