Posted to dev@abdera.apache.org by James M Snell <ja...@gmail.com> on 2007/11/05 23:35:38 UTC

Re: memory leak

Hey Bryon,

Thanks for the detailed note.  This is something that I've been
suspecting for a while now but just never had the time to explore in detail.

The main issue is static extensions.  Every time I work with a static
extension, I'm working with a wrapper.  We have no way of knowing how
expensive it would be or what side effects there could be to invoking an
ExtensionFactory numerous times for a single extension element.

That said, given the fact that ElementWrapper calls the internal equals
and hashcode methods, eliminating the cache would likely make the most
sense.  That will just leave it up to ExtensionFactory implementors to
make sure they're not doing anything silly in either the equals,
hashcode, or getelementwrapper methods.

I just made the changes locally to remove the cache and tested things
out, things still operate well without the cache and all tests are
passing.  I say we go ahead and make this change.

- James