Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net> on 2007/03/03 00:36:11 UTC

JK2 confusion

Since JK2 is now off the map, does it make sense to update

http://www.apache.org/dist/tomcat/tomcat-connectors/

and simply remove jk2?  The user could still dig these up if they
wanted over at

http://archive.apache.org/dist/tomcat/tomcat-connectors/

Re: JK2 confusion

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
Yes I agree, that it's time for this. We could also remove mod_jk2 from
the download page and add a text line saying, that mod_jk2 is deprecated
and is only available from the archive (which itself has a link on that
page).

Re: JK2 confusion

Posted by Jean-frederic Clere <jf...@gmail.com>.
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

>Since JK2 is now off the map, does it make sense to update
>
>http://www.apache.org/dist/tomcat/tomcat-connectors/
>
>and simply remove jk2?  The user could still dig these up if they
>wanted over at
>
>http://archive.apache.org/dist/tomcat/tomcat-connectors/

Done I have just left a note that mod_jk2 can be found in the archive area.

Cheers

Jean-Frederic

Re: JK2 confusion

Posted by Jean-Frederic <jf...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, 2007-03-03 at 21:26 -0600, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Mladen Turk wrote:
> > Not even that. We are talking for more then a year for
> > a next generation binary http(s) protocol.
> >
> > Almost everyone agreed that we need
> > at least few things:
> > 1. Encryption
> > 2. Variable sized messages
> > 3. Client connection close notification.
>
> Talk about a hijaak :)
>
> I'm going to argue; 'no', but let me offer my rational...

So you are suggesting to add http/https to mod_jk.
How would you handle the SSL attributes when using http/https?
javax.servlet.request.X509Certificate
javax.servlet.request.cipher_suite
javax.servlet.request.ssl_session
javax.servlet.request.key_size

Adding 4 Headers and a valve when using mod_proxy and Tomcat solves the
problem with Apache httpd. Would you do the same with other web servers?

> 1. These features are available through the HTTP connector which is
>    easier to troubleshoot (sniff) and already standardized.
>
> 2. The HTTP connector was somewhat neglected; to ensure that it is
>    completely conformant needs more eyes, not fewer.  More effort
>    at AJP 1.x is less effort towards HTTP/1.1 conformance.  (This
>    is not only a developer issue, but speaks to how well exercised
>    the HTTP connector is with many users choosing AJP and not seeing
>    or reporting specific quirks.)
>
> 3. We would honestly win more bandwidth from fully supporting the
>    content encoding deflate from tomcat to the proxy server than from
>    the few bytes saved with AJP.  And SSL Encryption + deflate provided
>    by TLS today will already give you this win, so binary protocol
>    is really not that significant (OpenSSL 0.9.8 supports it, don't ask
>    me if JSSE does.)
>
> 4. Waka.  Why reinvent a wheel in motion?  With the new focus at the
>    httpd Amsterdam code to break apart http from apache, we are adding
>    wiggle room for some to come behind and code to Roy's binary http
>    protocol plan.  The difference?

Already a link to some doc?

Cheers

Jean-Frederic

Re: JK2 confusion

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Mladen Turk wrote:
> Not even that. We are talking for more then a year for
> a next generation binary http(s) protocol.
>
> Almost everyone agreed that we need
> at least few things:
> 1. Encryption
> 2. Variable sized messages
> 3. Client connection close notification.

Talk about a hijaak :)

I'm going to argue; 'no', but let me offer my rational...

1. These features are available through the HTTP connector which is
   easier to troubleshoot (sniff) and already standardized.

2. The HTTP connector was somewhat neglected; to ensure that it is
   completely conformant needs more eyes, not fewer.  More effort
   at AJP 1.x is less effort towards HTTP/1.1 conformance.  (This
   is not only a developer issue, but speaks to how well exercised
   the HTTP connector is with many users choosing AJP and not seeing
   or reporting specific quirks.)

3. We would honestly win more bandwidth from fully supporting the
   content encoding deflate from tomcat to the proxy server than from
   the few bytes saved with AJP.  And SSL Encryption + deflate provided
   by TLS today will already give you this win, so binary protocol
   is really not that significant (OpenSSL 0.9.8 supports it, don't ask
   me if JSSE does.)

4. Waka.  Why reinvent a wheel in motion?  With the new focus at the
   httpd Amsterdam code to break apart http from apache, we are adding
   wiggle room for some to come behind and code to Roy's binary http
   protocol plan.  The difference?  Waka when done will be an accepted

Re: JK2 confusion

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Since JK2 is now off the map, does it make sense to update

Not even that. We are talking for more then a year for
a next generation binary http(s) protocol.

Almost everyone agreed that we need
at least few things:
1. Encryption
2. Variable sized messages
3. Client connection close notification.

Mladen