Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by "Cliff Jansen (Interop Systems Inc)" <v-...@microsoft.com> on 2009/12/01 10:33:37 UTC

RE: 10000 msgs limit per session

Robert Greig wrote:
> Having said that, I did take a look at this question ("could WCF be a
> generic messaging API") for other reasons related to my day job a
> while ago and concluded that it could be. You would simply have to
> define some very simple contracts (e.g. with a single method
> "StandardOneWay(Message m) and you would perhaps also need some
> AMQP-specific behaviours (a WCF term) to give complete flexibility.
>
> Cliff, am I right in assuming that is where you were going with the WCF client?

That is a very valid way to look at it, but not because it is a stated
objective of the work I have been doing, but merely because that is
how WCF tends to be used in a messaging context (i.e. for MSMQ and
WebSphere MQ based transports) if you are using the service model.
You can also just use one-way channels to send and receive messages
programmatically.

WCF isn't the solution to every conceivable messaging problem, but it
is a very important framework for .NET developers.  It can handle many
common messaging scenarios and the code under qpid/wcf tries to
provide the AMQP based transport that is expected in these cases.

Robert Godfrey wrote:
> I'm very supportive of the efforts to make available a WCF client for
> Qpid (and more generally, I hope, for AMQP) however I think we need to
> look a little more carefully about how we are going to go forward
> supporting .net application programmers and - something that tends to
> get a little lost - how we enable .net programmers to interoperate
> seamlessly with clients using other APIs (for example JMS <->
> .net/WCF)..

Unless there is an issue with interoperability in the case of "JMS <->
C++ client", I think that "JMS <-> .net/WCF" interoperability should
occur as a matter of course when the AmqpType sub-classes are fleshed out.

Cliff