Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Dave Camp <da...@thinbits.com> on 2005/07/26 15:28:18 UTC

FSFS size limits?

Before I start off on converting a 24 gig BDB repository to a svn
1.2.1 fsfs repository, I was wondering if there are any file size
limits I need to know about? Googling seems to indicate there may be
a 2 GB limit for individual revisions, but upgrading to a newer APR
may fix that. Is that correct?

Thanks,
Dave

Re: FSFS size limits?

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
Dave Camp wrote:
> On Jul 27, 2005, at 6:15 AM, Branko Čibej wrote:
>
>> Marc Haisenko wrote:

>>> Look up the filesize limitations of the filesystem you're using,
>>> then you know the limits of the FSFS repository :-) If your
>>> filesystem has no 2GB limit then FSFS hasn't either, AFAIK.
>>>

>> That's a bit too simple. Yes, APR 0.9.x does have issues with
>> largefile support, and whether or not those issues apply in your  case
>> depends on how your APR was compiled. APR-1.0 and later fixes  those
>> problems, IIRC.
>>
>> Apart from that, yes, in FSFS these problems should only show up if
>> an indivitual revision file is larger than 2GB.
>

> So, you are saying that if I build with APR-1.0 or later (configured
> for large files), svnserve and fsfs should not have any problems with
> individual revision files being larger than 2 GB?

That is correct.  If you do see a problem with that setup and large
files, we'd love to hear about it.

-garrett

Re: FSFS size limits?

Posted by Dave Camp <da...@thinbits.com>.

Re: FSFS size limits?

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Marc Haisenko wrote:

>On Tuesday 26 July 2005 17:28, Dave Camp wrote:
>

>>Before I start off on converting a 24 gig BDB repository to a svn
>>1.2.1 fsfs repository, I was wondering if there are any file size
>>limits I need to know about? Googling seems to indicate there may be
>>a 2 GB limit for individual revisions, but upgrading to a newer APR
>>may fix that. Is that correct?
>>

>Look up the filesize limitations of the filesystem you're using, then you know
>the limits of the FSFS repository :-) If your filesystem has no 2GB limit
>then FSFS hasn't either, AFAIK.

That's a bit too simple. Yes, APR 0.9.x does have issues with largefile
support, and whether or not those issues apply in your case depends on
how your APR was compiled. APR-1.0 and later fixes those problems, IIRC.

Apart from that, yes, in FSFS these problems should only show up if an
indivitual revision file is larger than 2GB.

-- Brane

Re: FSFS size limits?

Posted by Marc Haisenko <ha...@webport.de>.
On Tuesday 26 July 2005 17:28, Dave Camp wrote:
> Before I start off on converting a 24 gig BDB repository to a svn
> 1.2.1 fsfs repository, I was wondering if there are any file size
> limits I need to know about? Googling seems to indicate there may be
> a 2 GB limit for individual revisions, but upgrading to a newer APR
> may fix that. Is that correct?

Look up the filesize limitations of the filesystem you're using, then you know
the limits of the FSFS repository :-) If your filesystem has no 2GB limit
then FSFS hasn't either, AFAIK.

C'ya,
	Marc

--