Posted to dev@groovy.apache.org by Rob Lintern <rl...@ca.ibm.com> on 2015/07/31 23:19:15 UTC

moving from 1.7.4 to 2.4.4

Hi,

Can anybody think of any red flags in moving from Groovy 1.7.4 to the
latest (2.4.4)?
There is a patch in 2.4.4 that we would like to have which is not
back-ported to 1.7.x..   Otherwise we have no real reason to upgrade,
besides the vague notion of keeping up with the times, but this doesn't
outweigh any backwards-compatibility issues that we may encounter.

Cheers,
Rob

Re: moving from 1.7.4 to 2.4.4

Posted by Guillaume Laforge <gl...@gmail.com>.
And Groovy developers read the users list as well of course :-)

Moving from 1.7.4 to 2.4.4 is a big leap, as there have been a 96 versions
released in between, if I count correctly!!!
5 years have passed between those two release!!!

But I can understand the motto "why fix what ain't broke" ;-)

The Groovy team does its best to make Groovy as backward-compatible as
possible, but there have been some minor breaking changes here and there to
fix some incorrect behavior, plus some changes which might have an impact —
sometimes certain things are not really specified or covered by our test
suites, so people can rely on some aspects which might potentially evolve.

Frankly, the best thing you can do at this point is just try it out!
See if you get errors, and come back to us (on the users list) with the
problems you might be encountering.

Guillaume

--
Guillaume Laforge