Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by mvf <mv...@uniyar.ac.ru> on 2003/01/18 17:10:53 UTC

Some bugs.

Hello!

I'm translating Apache docs into russian (best regards to Ilia Soldis :) )
and i'm also working on my own Apache derived project, and I have copied Apache
directives documentation into the database for the sake of convenience. After some
automatized data processing with this database, some bugs in documentation
were fetched out. There are some errors in directives headers, usage wasn't
checked. This little bugs are listed below.

       File: mod_auth_ldap.xml
  Directive: AuthLDAPRemoteUserIsDN
        Bug: <default>AuthLDAPUserIsDN
                             ^^
       File: mod_ssl.xml
  Directive: SSLProxyVerifyDepth
        Bug: <syntax>SSLVerifyDepth...<default>SSLVerifyDepth
                       ^^                        ^^
       File: mod_proxy.xml
  Directive: ProxyRemoteMatch
        Bug: <syntax>ProxyRemote
                               ^^
       File: mod_auth_ldap.xml
  Directive: AuthLDAPFrontPageHack
        Bug: <default>AuthLDAPFronPageHack
                                 ^^

In some places there is text like this: "<default>None</default>" this can
be understand incorrectly, i.e. like as the default value of directive is
"DirectiveName None" (like "AllowOverride None").

I think it'll be better to leave <default> section blank, or use dash to
clear up the possible mess.

 This phrase exist in several documents, namely:
   file                 directive(s)
   --------------------------------
   mod_disk_cache.xml   CacheRoot

   mod_rewrite.xml      RewriteOptions
                        RewriteLock
                        RewriteMap
                        RewriteCond
                        RewriteRule

   mod_ssl.xml          SSLProxyMachineCertificatePath
                        SSLProxyMachineCertificateFile

   core.xml             CGIMapExtension
   ---------------------------------

That's all founded bugs... for today :)

Yep... About Autogeneration of PDF... What do you think about (La)TeX, and
pdf(La)TeX? pdf(La)TeX document can be autogenerated from XML, after that it can
be compiled into the good PDF document (with bookmarks, links, images, contents,
auto hyphenation, glossary and so on, minimal size, Type 1(outline) fonts). The
other plus is usability - by changing few lines you can get booklet, two-columns,
A4, letter page size, and so on. It's as easy as changing css-file. Other reason
- (La)Tex os opensource, freeware, mulltiplatform, same as Apache :) Of course
it's not very simle, were are some difficulties but you will get a good result.
I hope i'm not unique who use LaTeX, and there is someone who will
write xsl for converting apache-docs ftom XML to LaTeX

Look the example of such xsl at:
http://opera.inrialpes.fr/people/Tayeb.Lemlouma/MULTIMEDIA/XSLT/X2L.html
Information about pdfTeX http://www.tug.org/applications/pdftex/
and about hyperref package useful to create good-looking pdf using pdfLaTeX
http://www.tug.org/applications/hyperref/manual.html

If there is nobody who will do this, i can do it myself but only in
the spring or even in summer, furthermore all documents must be converted
to XML at first.

OK, that's all I wanna say... Good luck!

Re[2]: Some bugs.

Posted by mvf <mv...@uniyar.ac.ru>.
AM> perhaps you (or mvf) have some hints for free
AM> russian/japanese/other-when-they-appear-to-be-needed fonts (times and
AM> courier [japanese: mincho and ?]), that are without restrictions, i.e.
AM> could potentially be hold in CVS (I'm not sure, what license to the windows
AM> fonts applies).

I don't know anything about japanese fonts - i have not write in
japanese anything yet :) But i can say that there are good-looking
freeware font packs for russian language, for examle i'm using
PSCyr Type 1 fonts collection for TeX and can recommend this.
This is PSCyr's license:
PSCyr font collection
=====================

This license applies to the PSCyr font collection.

Permission is granted to use, copy, and freely redistribute the fonts
from the PSCyr font collection in any media, including embedding them
in PostScript and PDF documents provided that the following conditions
are met:

1. Any modification of *.afm and *.pfb files is forbidden.
2. The redistribution of the font(s) and the whole collection as separate
   computer file(s) should retain this license information.

The font collection is provided "as is" in the hope it will be useful,
but without any warranty, whether implicit or explicit, of any kind.
links to this font collection
http://www.tex.uniyar.ac.ru/package/fonts/pscyr/
ftp://mch5.chem.msu.su/pub/russian/psfonts/
(there is a few versions, take PSCyr-0.4c-patch2-type1.tar.gz)
readme is in russian, if you need i can translate it.

i can give links to another russian font collections but they are
too big, i think, to store it in CVS. For examle, big and good
GNU licensed Type 1 font collection called CM-SUPER, which also
includes TeX fonts.
ftp://ftp.vsu.ru/pub/tex/font-packs/cm-super/
http://www.tex.uniyar.ac.ru/package/fonts/cm-super.zip (64M!!)

But the difficult is character set. Russian language's character sets is a
very funny thing... For examle, i know 5 different character sets for
russian language, and this is not a full list. The post-servers convert
letters from one coding to another if the letter's coding is not
specified, and sometimes i get non-readable letters on that reason.
There is a special programs to read such letters (and they are quite
popular)(for examle letter was written in win1251 character set, first
post-server converted this from dos866 to koi8-r character set, and
another post server converted from iso to koi8-r character set - try
to guess that will i get :) ) . But let us return to our muttons.

I don't know what a character set is internal for this fonts, let us
hope that this is unicode, but i think this is T2 tex internal coding
for cyrillic languages... LaTeX is working with different russain
charset quite well and i don't need to know that a charset it is use.

If you need help, details, or some testing or russian fonts - it'll be
better to write me directly - this mail list is not about fonts, but
about documentation.

--------
 mvf                          mailto:mvf@uniyar.ac.ru

Re: Some bugs.

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
* Joshua Slive wrote:

>> I think it'll be better to leave <default> section blank, or use dash to
>> clear up the possible mess.
>
> I agree completely (and favor just omitting the <default> section in
> these cases).  Any other opinions?

+1.

>> Yep... About Autogeneration of PDF... What do you think about (La)TeX, and
>
> I'm a big fan of LaTeX, but I think André already has a very good start on
> some FOP-based stuff.  If it turns out that that doesn't work, we can look
> at the LaTeX route.

agreed. However, perhaps you (or mvf) have some hints for free
russian/japanese/other-when-they-appear-to-be-needed fonts (times and
courier [japanese: mincho and ?]), that are without restrictions, i.e.
could potentially be hold in CVS (I'm not sure, what license to the windows
fonts applies).
fop can work with TTF and type 1 fonts (whatever that means, I don't know
very much about such things ;-) [<http://xml.apache.org/fop/fonts.html>]

nd
--
"Eine Eieruhr", erklärt ihr Hermann, "besteht aus einem Ei. Du nimmst
das Ei und kochst es. Wenn es hart ist, sind fünf Minuten um. Dann weißt

Re: Some bugs.

Posted by Astrid Keßler <ke...@kess-net.de>.
On Sat, 18 Jan 2003 11:21:00 -0500 (Est), Joshua Slive wrote:

>> In some places there is text like this: "<default>None</default>" this can
>> be understand incorrectly, i.e. like as the default value of directive is
>> "DirectiveName None" (like "AllowOverride None").
>>
>> I think it'll be better to leave <default> section blank, or use dash to
>> clear up the possible mess.
>
> I agree completely (and favor just omitting the <default> section in
> these cases).  Any other opinions?

+1 on omitting the <default> section.

 Kess

Re: Some bugs.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Sat, 18 Jan 2003, mvf wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I'm translating Apache docs into russian (best regards to Ilia Soldis :) )
> and i'm also working on my own Apache derived project, and I have copied Apache
> directives documentation into the database for the sake of convenience. After some
> automatized data processing with this database, some bugs in documentation
> were fetched out. There are some errors in directives headers, usage wasn't
> checked. This little bugs are listed below.

Great!  Thanks for the notes.  I will work on fixing these today.

> In some places there is text like this: "<default>None</default>" this can
> be understand incorrectly, i.e. like as the default value of directive is
> "DirectiveName None" (like "AllowOverride None").
>
> I think it'll be better to leave <default> section blank, or use dash to
> clear up the possible mess.

I agree completely (and favor just omitting the <default> section in
these cases).  Any other opinions?

> Yep... About Autogeneration of PDF... What do you think about (La)TeX, and

I'm a big fan of LaTeX, but I think André already has a very good start on
some FOP-based stuff.  If it turns out that that doesn't work, we can look
at the LaTeX route.

Joshua.