Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Paul Smith <ps...@aconex.com> on 2004/08/02 00:13:41 UTC

RE: Bug List

I would help out more quickly if the patches were in the Unified diff format
(diff -u ).  I think some of the new ones are in Contextual diff format, and
since my IDE (Eclipse) doesn't support that, I'm less motivated to go to the
command line to apply the patch...

However a definitive list on what should be "applyable" now would be useful.
Thanks,
Paul Smith

RE: Bug List

Posted by Michael Price <mp...@atl.lmco.com>.
--- Ceki G�lc� <ce...@qos.ch> wrote:
> Are you really talking about completely trivial patches? Blindly
> applying patches can lead to unmaintainable code which no body
> understands. (I'd of course like to avoid that...)
>
> If you are talking about totally trivial patches, then a list of such
> patches would be very handy. :-)

Yes, several of the issues appear to be fixed by patches that change
only 2 or 3 lines of code or fix obvious javadoc typos. I'll send out a
list of the ones I spotted later today.

Michael

RE: Bug List

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
For many if not all patches submitted, the invaluable part is the
logic driving the patch not the patch itself. The patch itself is of
course also valuable, but only as a facilitator helping to get the
point across.

In long run, the code itself has little value without the developers
willing and capable of maintaining it. Thus, added value of a patch is
far greater when it teaches the developer how to fish instead of
giving him/her a fish.

Obviously, in the case of truly trivial patches, the above analysis
does not apply.

At 12:13 AM 8/2/2004, Paul Smith wrote:
>I would help out more quickly if the patches were in the Unified diff format
>(diff -u ).  I think some of the new ones are in Contextual diff format, and
>since my IDE (Eclipse) doesn't support that, I'm less motivated to go to the
>command line to apply the patch...
>
>However a definitive list on what should be "applyable" now would be useful.
>Thanks,
>Paul Smith

Ceki Gülcü