Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Tim Boudreau <ni...@gmail.com> on 2021/11/17 20:37:28 UTC

Project opening blocked on network I/O

I’ve noticed since I built a new build of NetBeans for coding a few weeks
ago, that opening projects got dramatically slower.

Pulling a few thread dumps, it appears to be Feature-on-Demand triggering a
query of all update servers just in case a project will need some absent
feature.

Known problem? Known fix?

-Tim
--
http://timboudreau.com

Re: Project opening blocked on network I/O

Posted by Tim Boudreau <ni...@gmail.com>.
Well, great, but blocking on long running I/O is not cool (particularly if
you’re on a VPN that is flaky, the time out for the connection to fail
seems to be several minutes).

So, first, the check should be asynchronous wherever possible, not blocking
project opening. Second, it should not happen on every single project open
- have a TTL for the answer to the question, and don’t ask it again until
that has expired.

Multi minute project opening does not make a good impression.

-Tim

Posted by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hello Tim,