Posted to ecs-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Robert Burrell Donkin <Ro...@appleonline.net> on 2001/04/11 22:40:18 UTC

ecs2 (generating attributes)

i've been thinking (a bad habit, i know)...

maybe some of the legwork could be replaced by code generation, at least
for those packages with DTDs (eg html, xhtml, wml).
i'm pretty sure that texan could be extended to allow velocity scripting
of schema elements (eg. attributes and elements).

whilst this wouldn't remove the need for hand-coding, it might make
things a little easier.

is this worth looking into - or is it a red herring?

- robert

Re: org.apache.ecs.generation

Posted by Stephan Nagy <sn...@connectria.com>.
Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:

> (unless anyone has a better name...) i'd like to use the namespace
> org.apache.ecs.generation for code generation stuff.
>
> if this is acceptable i'll repackage the stuff i have into that namespace.
>
> (of course, these won't be going anywhere near the cvs source tree! i just need a
> namespace for the classes to live in.)
>
> - robert

Fine with me.

org.apache.ecs.generation

Re: ecs2 (generating attributes)

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <Ro...@appleonline.net>.
Stephan Nagy wrote:

> Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
>
> > i now have some stuff (using texen) which can generate attributes getters
> > and setters (and possibly other stuff) from an xml DTD.
> > i can take a DTD and produce reasonable but basic ecs element families with
> > classes for each element in the usual ecs-style.
> >
> > i hope that this might be useful in terms of reducing the amount of legwork
> > required to finish ecs2.
> > i'm not really sure what the current status of ecs2 is - so i need to
> > people to speak up if they want to use this stuff.
>
> Hell Yeah.  I'm currently working on a deadline for another project so I'm not
> able to do anything with ecs/ecs2 right now.  This project should wrap itself
> up in the next week or two.  Send me the stuff you have and I'll try it out
> with ecs2.

since you're busy, i'll take the time to tidy it up a little (so don't expect it
immediately) and maybe do a little documentation :-)

there are some thinking issues with making code generation work well but you're
right - it's best to have a play first.

Posted by Stephan Nagy <sn...@connectria.com>.
Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:

> i now have some stuff (using texen) which can generate attributes getters
> and setters (and possibly other stuff) from an xml DTD.
> i can take a DTD and produce reasonable but basic ecs element families with
> classes for each element in the usual ecs-style.
>
> i hope that this might be useful in terms of reducing the amount of legwork
> required to finish ecs2.
> i'm not really sure what the current status of ecs2 is - so i need to
> people to speak up if they want to use this stuff.

Hell Yeah.  I'm currently working on a deadline for another project so I'm not
able to do anything with ecs/ecs2 right now.  This project should wrap itself
up in the next week or two.  Send me the stuff you have and I'll try it out
with ecs2.

-stephan

Re: ecs2 (generating attributes)

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <Ro...@appleonline.net>.

Jon Stevens wrote:

> on 4/11/01 1:40 PM, "Robert Burrell Donkin" <Ro...@appleonline.net>
> wrote:
>
> > i've been thinking (a bad habit, i know)...
> >
> > maybe some of the legwork could be replaced by code generation, at least
> > for those packages with DTDs (eg html, xhtml, wml).
> > i'm pretty sure that texan could be extended to allow velocity scripting
> > of schema elements (eg. attributes and elements).
> >
> > whilst this wouldn't remove the need for hand-coding, it might make
> > things a little easier.
> >
> > is this worth looking into - or is it a red herring?
> >
> > - robert
>
> Nope. I think it is a great idea.
>
> It isn't a matter of extending texen, it is a matter of providing an
> implementation of texen that provides this functionality. :-)

yeh... should probably have said - 'subclassing'.
i was thinking about reading in the schema (xerces will do DTD->schema
convertion)
and putting it into the context. this should require a simple torque-style
subclass of texan.

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
wrote:

> i've been thinking (a bad habit, i know)...
>
> maybe some of the legwork could be replaced by code generation, at least
> for those packages with DTDs (eg html, xhtml, wml).
> i'm pretty sure that texan could be extended to allow velocity scripting
> of schema elements (eg. attributes and elements).
>
> whilst this wouldn't remove the need for hand-coding, it might make
> things a little easier.
>
> is this worth looking into - or is it a red herring?
>
> - robert

Nope. I think it is a great idea.

It isn't a matter of extending texen, it is a matter of providing an
implementation of texen that provides this functionality. :-)

-jon