Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de> on 2008/03/24 13:37:49 UTC

SVN 1.5-beta1 svn mergeinfo output for deleted branches

Hi there,

i have a questions about the behaviour of svn mergeinfo...

I have created branch, merged from that branch and so on....

svn mergeinfo
  Source path: /project1/trunk
    Merged ranges: r1:21
    Eligible ranges: r31:34
  Source path: /project1/branches/B_ENH_F1
    Merged ranges: r2:33
    Eligible ranges:
  Source path: /project1/branches/B_DIFF
    Merged ranges: r21:23
    Eligible ranges: r23:33

Ok so far so god...

But than i deleted the branch B_ENH_F1, cause i completed the work on
that branch...

svn rm ../project1/branches/B_ENH_F1 -m"- Done."

and now
svn mergeinfo
  Source path: /project1/trunk
    Merged ranges: r1:21
    Eligible ranges: r31:34
  Source path: /project1/branches/B_ENH_F1
    Merged ranges: r2:33
    Eligible ranges: (source no longer available in HEAD)
  Source path: /project1/branches/B_DIFF
    Merged ranges: r21:23
    Eligible ranges: r23:33

So is it no more best practice to remove the integrated branches or no
more used branches....cause this will produces many messages if i use
the merging intensive with many branches...

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise
Dipl.Ing.(FH) Karl Heinz Marbaise        ICQ#: 135949029
Hauptstrasse 177                         USt.IdNr: DE191347579
52146 Würselen                           http://www.soebes.de

Re: SVN 1.5-beta1 svn mergeinfo output for deleted branches

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
Karl Heinz Marbaise wrote:
> It seemed to be that "Eligible ranges:" will always check the HEAD of
> that branch and don't respect particular revisions...
>
> It this correct ?

That is correct.

--
C. Michael Pilato <cm...@collab.net>

Re: SVN 1.5-beta1 svn mergeinfo output for deleted branches

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

i have observerd an other odd thing.

i tried to get back into history using svn up -r ... before the branch
has been deleted...
but i get the same thing. I tried to use svn mergeinfo -r XX but this
doesn't change anything.

Posted by Bhuvaneswaran Arumugam <bh...@collab.net>.
On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 17:33 +0700, Erik Grinaker wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 15:50 +0530, Bhuvaneswaran Arumugam wrote:
> > On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 15:55 +0700, Erik Grinaker wrote:
> > May I suggest to add "-q" switch for mergeinfo command to address this
> > case? If this switch is passed, we can avoid printing the merged and
> > eligible revisions for a deleted target.
> >
> > If this proposal sounds ok, i'll come up with a patch for this.
>
> Sounds good to me. I'd prefer this being the default behaviour, but a
> switch is fine.

While I was preparing a patch for this, Kamesh and I found an issue in
current implementation. When a deleted target has unmerged changes in
it, mergeinfo command does not detect it.

For example, consider the attached script. The b1/ is a copy of trunk,
the change r5 in b1/ is not merged to trunk, and b1/ got deleted in r7.
When we run mergeinfo on trunk, it just prints "(source no longer
available in HEAD)" and it does not detect the unmerged change r5 in b1.

Bhuvaneswaran

Re: SVN 1.5-beta1 svn mergeinfo output for deleted branches

Posted by Erik Grinaker <er...@codepoet.no>.

Posted by Bhuvaneswaran Arumugam <bh...@collab.net>.
On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 15:50 +0530, Bhuvaneswaran Arumugam wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 15:55 +0700, Erik Grinaker wrote:

> > > If i'm right, we are supposed to handle this. In case the entry is not
> > > found, we should display "(source no longer available in HEAD)". I'm not
> > > sure, if the check is supposed to handle this use case anyway.
> >
> > Yeah, they are displayed with "(source no longer available in HEAD)",
> > but it isn't very useful to have tens or hundreds of such entries for
> > feature branches which have been removed ages ago. I'd much rather only
> > have the entries for currently active branches by default.
>
> May I suggest to add "-q" switch for mergeinfo command to address this
> case? If this switch is passed, we can avoid printing the merged and
> eligible revisions for a deleted target.

FWIW, adding --verbose/-v or --quiet/-q switch for mergeinfo command is
discussed in this thread:
http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=dev&msgNo=136434

However, the purpose for adding this switch is completely different from
using it for deleted targets. I'll comment in that thread to verify if
we should not display merged/eligible revisions of deleted targets when
--quiet/-q switch is passed.
Bhuvaneswaran

Re: SVN 1.5-beta1 svn mergeinfo output for deleted branches

Posted by Bhuvaneswaran Arumugam <bh...@collab.net>.

Posted by Erik Grinaker <er...@codepoet.no>.

Posted by Bhuvaneswaran Arumugam <bh...@collab.net>.

Posted by Erik Grinaker <er...@codepoet.no>.