Posted to dev@polygene.apache.org by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> on 2015/08/22 06:35:24 UTC

Enough relaxation??

Gang,
after the release we seem to have taken a short vacation.

And in my book, there are a lot of things to be done, of varying order of
complexity.

One thing that surfaced on Incubator list today, was that ASF pays for Jar
signing that is provided by Symantec's service. I am checking whether our
100s of jars will be an issue, but assuming not, I think we should
incorporate that in the release build process (automated of course).

I think I will slowly start to replace Functional and IO packages with the
Java 8 functional and stream APIs. That is a lot of coding, but not overly
complex, and will take a while.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZEST-109 is the umbrella for all the
large things planned for 3.0.

Happy Coding
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

Re: Enough relaxation??

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Sun, Aug 23, 2015 at 6:02 PM, Paul Merlin <pa...@nosphere.org> wrote:

> Niclas Hedhman a écrit :
> > One thing that surfaced on Incubator list today, was that ASF pays for
> Jar
> > signing that is provided by Symantec's service. I am checking whether our
> > 100s of jars will be an issue, but assuming not, I think we should
> > incorporate that in the release build process (automated of course).
> Sounds promising.
> See
>
> https://people.apache.org/~markt/presentations/2015-04-15-Code%20Signing%20at%20the%20ASF.pdf
>
> Thanks, I'll try to find out how much ~100 credits are (our number of code
jars). If it is overly burdensome for ASF, like more than a dollar or so,
then I think we can wait a bit.

> > I think I will slowly start to replace Functional and IO packages with
> the
> > Java 8 functional and stream APIs. That is a lot of coding, but not
> overly
> > complex, and will take a while.
> Moving from Iterables to Streams will help guarantee they are consumed
> once. Iterables can be consumed several times, Streams can't. Maybe
> there're some places where Iterables will be more appropriate.

I think I am about halfway by now;
  a. Function and Function2 completely replaced
  b. Specification replaced with Predicate
  c. A big chunk of Iterables done, but still working to sort that out.

On point a and b, it was clean enough to simply replace them, and I have
commits locally that I think are clean and built properly. I have not
pushed that yet. You want it?

On point c, I started with replacing HasTypes.types() method, and that
snowballed a lot of derivative changes needed, since it is all tied
together with the Functions to work with those types. So, still fighting
that. Will report back a bit later today on it.

> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZEST-109 is the umbrella for all the
> > large things planned for 3.0.
> > Happy Coding
> I'll be putting some effort on 3.0 starting next week.

Great...

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

Re: Enough relaxation??

Posted by Paul Merlin <pa...@nosphere.org>.
Hey Niclas,

Niclas Hedhman a écrit :
> Gang,
> after the release we seem to have taken a short vacation.
I did, and it was good :)
One week of gardening, dry-stone building and hiking in mountains and
forests.
Batteries now loaded!

> And in my book, there are a lot of things to be done, of varying order of
> complexity.
Indeed.

> One thing that surfaced on Incubator list today, was that ASF pays for Jar
> signing that is provided by Symantec's service. I am checking whether our
> 100s of jars will be an issue, but assuming not, I think we should
> incorporate that in the release build process (automated of course).
Sounds promising.
See
https://people.apache.org/~markt/presentations/2015-04-15-Code%20Signing%20at%20the%20ASF.pdf

> I think I will slowly start to replace Functional and IO packages with the
> Java 8 functional and stream APIs. That is a lot of coding, but not overly
> complex, and will take a while.
Moving from Iterables to Streams will help guarantee they are consumed
once. Iterables can be consumed several times, Streams can't. Maybe
there're some places where Iterables will be more appropriate.

> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZEST-109 is the umbrella for all the
> large things planned for 3.0.
> Happy Coding
I'll be putting some effort on 3.0 starting next week.

Happy Coding!

Cheers

/Paul